Name that predator, please

You will find out when you get your camera back and so will the predator. If you have a live trap put it out. This is a fox that killed. I set the traps for a few nights to allow the fox access and then one night set it to go off. This fox was coming around during the day and killed my most precious bird. Here most of the predators come out at night.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-have-a-fox-problem.1320127/page-3#post-21522832
Amazing pictures. You're right. I should go get my camera :)

I do the camera thing as well for more than watching predators. Still, you can pick up on things that are not always evident with tracks. For me it has been fun combining pictures, tracks and direct observations to figure out what everyone is doing.

Nothing can reach thru 1/4" mesh....must be a gap or I'm not understating set up?

I think there was a gap the first two nights. Last night, I can only imagine one of the chicks toes were sticking out of the mesh. I tugged on that all as hard as I could and couldn't get any gap that was greater than 1/4".

i had a 4 week old silkie and a 4 week old crested polish, totally disappear out of the little coop, they must have been sleeping right up against the wire door, it was about 1/2"x 1" grate.....there were no remains, just blood streaming down the coop door, one little silkie survived, he must have been too far back to reach.......i do miss those 2 little guys, they would have been 18 wks old today

Sounds to me (especially at this time of year) like you've got a Momma raccoon.

OR you've got weasels (the toe thing makes me think that). I'd rather a raccoon personally.

I'm hoping it's not weasels. I understand trying to keep weasels out is like trying to keep goats in.

Back
Top Bottom