Name that toe

20220627_112938.jpg
na, I'll let these take the night shift.

So ya predator problem started in the barn over night a couple days ago.
I walked in to find 3 of my more important breeders gone. These were penned birds and it appeared something tried pulling them through the wire door and pulled hard enough to pull the latch screws from the wood. That left that side of the door able to be pulled open enough to easily get birds out.
I have birds loose in the barn that roost in random places but of course extra roosters were left alone and penned breeder birds were taken.
The saga continued. I have a few traps and scouted for signs and best options for trap locations.
I found these tracks. Even with my extraordinary photography skills I couldn't get clear to life pics but the tracks clearly show an old enemy.
The tracks are of a four toed creature. A beast that is missing a toe.
20220627_105628.jpg
20220627_190707.jpg

My main concerns arise when something enters the barn to kill. The first time I had an issue something had dug under the back wall. I've left the hole ever since and things have no problem using it. It makes it easier when I know where they're coming in and out of. I can usually set a couple traps right there and eliminate the problem in a day two.
The previous issue was different. I did catch a few things but not the elusive mastermind.
He taunted and tormented me always staying one step ahead. That is until I took his toe.
The battle continued but he was misstepping and he got scared. As I turned the tables he vanished and so did my concerns. It had been peaceful until lately.
He's returned with a vengeance and back up.....

Zoinks! He’ll never get away with it now that you’ve brought in those meddling kids.

Pro tip: You should split up & sneak over to your greedy neighbors house. I bet you find a raccoon costume with a missing toe over there.
I'm waiting on a trapping expert to get here with some ideas on some other directions I may want to go. Gotta cover all the bases.

1656705055697.jpg

Back
Top Bottom