Name This Product: It's like a roll of shingle material...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sixpantsmaloney, Jun 12, 2008.

1. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    I've seen this stuff on commercial coops. It's the same material as asphalt shingles; however, it's in a sheet. One piece covers the entire roof.

I have a hinged roof, can't figure a good way to shingle it, and would like to find this stuff. I just don't know what it is called or where to find it.

Cheers,
    brian

2. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Asphalt rolled roofing. Usually comes in 36 and 48 inch rolls about 100 feet long. Great stuff. I use it on all my coops. Easy and alot faster than shingles. Remember to put felt down underneath it.

Good Luck

Nick

3. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
    Sounds like rolled roofing. You may have to hunt around for it. I know our local Carter Lumber carries it, but the big stores don't.

HTH
    Tracy

4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    they had it at our home depot store in the roofing dept.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Home Depot always has it. Roofed an 8x7 coop , a classic peaked roof made of two sheets of plywood, for scandalously little money. You dont even have to put felt under it. You can buy that smelly tar stuff - can't think of the name but if you get someone at HD or wherever to find the asphalt rolled roofing, they will know what you need - and that glues it on super well. Then we spent less than ten dollars on a a roll of metal flashing. We flashed the peak, and flashed the sides to, to help roll the rain off. Looks great, tight as a drum, not expensive. Way cheaper and easier than shingling. A good choice. best.

6. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Rolled roofing... excellent.

Thanks so much!
    Brian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by