Names for new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheRookie, Feb 21, 2012.

1. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Getting 5 1 day old Black Silkies next week, along with 11 RIRs and some packing peanuts. I need help coming up with names. How do you guys name yours?

2. ssellis

ssellis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    South Carolina
    My white silkie pair are cotton and snow ball, my blacks are splash and Ink.splash has white feathers on his head.

3. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I have the same problem lol, but I'm sure my kids will figure something out. We have 7 different pullets, 1 keeper cockrel, and 8 silkies to name plus 9 meat birds and whatever packing peanuts come with the silkies. We wont be naming the meat birds or peanuts though, just the keepers.

4. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    My 5 year old named our 3 silver seabrights: Chica (can you tell we watch sprout?), Flower, and Dinner.

5. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I name mine based on color, personality, or I just pick names I like. www.babynamesworld.com has a great name by meaning search. My 4 RIR hens are Bertha, Cinnamon, Scarlett, and Ginger. I have a Delaware pullet (maybe) that my niece named Belle. My daughter named her partridge silkie Sophie.

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    We don't name ours. When we got into raising chickens it was for the eggs and fertilizer they produce. We felt if we named them they would be like pets and harder to replace when they got older. This year we will be doing our first thinning of the flock to replace some older birds with new chicks. It is a little sad to see them go but not so bad as if we had named them.

If we were naming them we would use names like: Nugget, Extra Crispy, Kung Pao, Cordon Blu, etc... Do you see a theme here?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by