naming chickens...do you have a method?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by haTHOR, Apr 18, 2009.

1. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i named my leghorns old-fashioned lady names b/c they are so no-nonsense and somehow prim and flighty. so louise and roberta it is.

my dd named the two red stars ruby and pearl.

i have a glw and ee coming and i'm wondering how to name them. what do you do to come up with names?

2. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    I just find cool names and store them in the back rack of my brain. Then, I pick one I like and name the chicken.

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    i let my kids and niece help name some of them. My RIR is named Red, which is oh so orignial. I just go with whatever sounds good lol. I just named my new SLW's Olive and Martini, and my niece named one of my cochins pork chop bc she says she is the other white meat lol.

4. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    We have Favor, Grace(wasn't very graceful!), Uno(because he was the only chick to hatch until Grace 3 days later), and my 4-yr-old daughter just named our new chicks Soup, and Macaroni!

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Whatever come into mind with the chickens personality or looks [​IMG]

6. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wait until I notice some defining characteristic about the chicken and then name it based on that. for example, my only feather footed chicken is hermes, the one with vaguely raccoon like facial markings is rj, after the raccoon in over the hedge, etc.

7. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I just name my girls names I like- Willow, Grace, Delilah, Francis, Vivian, Luna, Honey, Shelby, Presley, Cricket. I dont name them until I know for sure I am keeping them

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    My DH named my BR Obama....dont know why but it sure sounds funny when it does something wrong..."D***it Obama" My neighbors must think we are really political.

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I like to use the old fashioned girl names as well. They do seem to fit a hen well [​IMG] Sometimes watching a chicken for a while will earn it a name by its behavior.

My favorite hen is Priscilla.

10. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    all ours are named after classic movie actress's
    Audrey Hepburn
    Vivien Leigh
    Natalie Wood
    Olivia DeHaviland
    Mae West
    Sophia Loren.

Sam is the only one that doenst have a "classic" name. And I am pretty sure our coming SB DUccles will be named after tv actress's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by