Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Only the ones I’m not going to eat.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • No I don’t name them

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Only the ones I can tell apart.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
All of the chickens, However, naming is purely based on if one comes to me (or someone else in the family) for the chicken. I had one Easter Egger who I finally named "Nameless" because she just didn't inspire anything.

I have a four-year-old, and she has named some of the birds from this round and they're kind of my favorite names ever. I know have: Pecky Becky, Silly Sylvia, Darkaness, Style, Sunflower, and Luna named by her.

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
Thanks for participating!
I name all my birds, even those destined to be butchered.

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
All of my Cochins are name "Baby Love". My Buff Orpington's are called "Pumpkin" and my RIR 's are called "Lil Red". The new babies are called "Baby Dears." This way, when I call a name I get a group of chickens to respond. The Black Ostralorp's are called "Ebony." The Roosters have their own names. The Brahma's are called "Brahma."

I use bands or loose zip ties. Spending time with the flock and noticing subtle changes in feather patterns, temperament, how they act, how they walk, squawk, you may find you won't need bands or zip ties.

I optimistically called my one Silkie Roxanne Hen L'oeuf - then she started crowing - tried Rocky but Roxanne stuck as she/he knew that name. The other Silkie I knew was a rooster and called in Stanley the Stallion Chicken. Sadly both were killed recently by a fox :(

I have three other Silkies that are around 14 weeks right now so I don't know what sex they are. From the beginning they were the McNugget Triplets: I have Fluffy McNugget (typical fluffy silkie), Curly McNugget (Frizzle silkie) and Henny Penny McNugget (looks like an Old English Game x Silkie - and likely a rooster....). All three know their names, and simple commands like, 'Go to bed' - when I put them away at night; or 'Go in there' - their safe place when I move horses around in the barn; and of course 'Here chook, chook, chook' - always some treat involved with that call!

There are also seven, 5 week old barnyard mix chicks here that were hatched out and they also have names and are learning them - they are not as easy to train as the Silkies I am finding as they are always running somewhere doing something and never sit still - the Silkies are way more tame and quiet.

Chickens are new for me but I find they are cunning, devious little devils, and remind me of those wee raptors on Jurassic Park that attack the little girl on the beach - I am frequently glad they are not 6' tall! And I have seen my Silkie Fluffy eat an 8" snake so doubly glad they are not looking at me as being on the menu hahaha.
Hey! Henny-Penny really is a Henny :) just started laying eggs. Now for the other two....

Oh, and all mine get leg bands. I have Velcro ones for chicks that are easy to adjust while they're still growing, and them I swap them out for a colored zip tie with lettered/numbered beads once their legs are close enough to full size.
Thank you!

Sounds like mine! We were sure we had to have a bunch of pullets and gave most feminine names. The one I was sure was going to be a male (for some reason) I named after a character in a book I read with my daughter. King Jupiter Smalls. (Smalls for short, but now we just call her Smallsy as she seems to be one of only 4 pullets of the 15 I hatched) All my awesome girly names like Tigerlily and Flora are looking like cockerels! Hoping I start getting some definite crowing soon so I can be sure of all my roos and find homes or freezers for them...
Aww...we went with pullets only this time, I was afraid to risk it!

Back
Top Bottom