Votes: 5 3.9%
  • No I don’t name them

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Only the ones I can tell apart.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
Pics
II
Do any of your chickens know their names? Mine sure don't!
I have a rooster that knows his name. As well as a duck.
I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
Thanks for participating!
Most of mine are for egg laying, so most don't have names. Though my most unique ones do. First are my two large fowl roosters, big red and little red. Then the large fowl hens, cookie, momma, baby, coco, eaglet, rosy, brave, and pompom. Next are our silkies, our silky rooster simba, his two oldest hens fluffy Mohawk and charcoal, and then there's our smallest bantams, our old English bantam rooster Sammy, then there's the d'uccles, a mille fleur rooster called cream, a porcelain called snow flake, and a black mottled called cruela

We choose names based on looks, personality, and weather they came with the name or not.

Last edited:
I have 15 chickens so far and my kids and I named them all upon hatching or within a couple days of hatching. We have since had to change some names as my flock of 15 seems to be 11 cockerels!! 🤔
Currently they are:
2 brown backyard mixes: Tiger Lily (but now he's Tiger) he's a handsome copper color with stripes and some teal tail feathers coming in.
Sally Henny Penny (now Sammy Henry Penry 😂)
3 Black orps I think:
Shadow (my son new he was a rooster from the start)
Ebony (only black pullet)
Midnight.
5 white Easter egger mixes all with different spots and speckles
Ivory (definite cockerel)
Sunshine (biggest of my flock and has fluffy cheek feathers)
Alice (my only for sure white pullet)
Cecily Parsley (but probably Cecil parsley now)
Dotty (my daughter is most sad about this one because he has the coolest spots and hatched from a blue egg so she was hoping she'd be a blue egg layer.... But sadly looking like a cockerel too!)
And last but not least I have 5 lavender orpingtons:
River (looking more blue and like a roo)
Moonshine (cockerel)
Flora (now Mr. Fleur)
Fauna (definite miss!)
And Smalls, because she's my smallest.
Because of all the males I now have 19 eggs in the incubator, 6 barred rocks, 7 ameracauna, 6 salmon faverolles and 1 mystery egg! Hopefully better luck on the hen situation this hatch!!!

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
I do name them! We’ve had a few named for country music stars, Loretta, Tammy, Patsy, now I have Sally, Alice, Edith, Luanne, Julie, Esther and Maude. The fun names make me happy and they are all different personalities. So I’m all for naming!

We have 10 chickens and yes, I treat them as pets and part of the family. I am notorious for spoiling all my animals and crying buckets of tears when I lose one. Mine are named based on their breed or looks:
Wyandotte - Dottie
Sussex - Henrietta - kind of British plus I couldn’t resist
Americana - Betsy - for Betsy Ross
Orpington - Alice - that came from an old tv show called Green Acres “I’d like 3 eggs please, Alice”
Blue Cochin - Margaret - not sure why - but liked the name
Partridge Cochin - Clementine - after Bobby Darin Chubby Clementine song
Two polish - one is more orange and black so she is Poppy. The other is truly a bird brain and always getting lost and pecking so she is Clueless
Barred Rock - Lucy - because of “I Love Lucy” old black and white show
Light Brahma - Pigwidgeon - she squealed just like a pig when she was a baby - boy was I glad to get her out into the coop!

that’s it - hope that gives you some ideas.

All have names, but some are named after my great-grandparents--Norval, Bill, Hattie, Berniece, Nimpie, Samantha.... Wonder if someday there will be a chicken running around in my descendant's yard with my name?
Mine are named after Mom (Barbie a RIR) aunt Zora( a Red sex link);and grandma (Alberta Specked Sussex) great grandma ( Edna a Red sex link) and my black austrolorp after and in honor of one of my favorites from the 70's Aretha the queen of soul. Ha ha 😅

All of my chickens, ducks, turtles, and of course dogs have names and are pets. I have a few ducks that look very similar but as they grow up, I'm noticing more and more individual characteristics so I'm able to tell them apart. I really like a lot of gender specific names and that's problematic whenever you incubate/hatch eggs or purchase Bantams that generally aren't sold as sexed (unless they're sex links or purchased from hatcheries that offer genetic testing). I choose names that come to mind whenever I think about the individual. I really like names from books, especially kids books. My favorite names are long, oftentimes with first, middle and last name. Of course whenever I have to change the name due to gender, I chose a name that sounds similar to their former more feminine name. I suppose I should start naming any future additions with masculine names since every single time I've given a masculine name, it turns out to be female, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Most recently my sweet Milo is now known as Miley after belting out a very definitive "OUACK". We did leave my Crested Cream Legbar that was colored like a male as a chick named Freddie because she knew her name very well before I started thinking something wasn't quite right with this "cockerel". I guess I have always tried to will them into being females with the feminine names, but obviously that has absolutely no impact 🤣

All of my chickens, ducks, turtles, and of course dogs have names and are pets. I have a few ducks that look very similar but as they grow up, I'm noticing more and more individual characteristics so I'm able to tell them apart. I really like a lot of gender specific names and that's problematic whenever you incubate/hatch eggs or purchase Bantams that generally aren't sold as sexed (unless they're sex links or purchased from hatcheries that offer genetic testing). I choose names that come to mind whenever I think about the individual. I really like names from books, especially kids books. My favorite names are long, oftentimes with first, middle and last name. Of course whenever I have to change the name due to gender, I chose a name that sounds similar to their former more feminine name. I suppose I should start naming any future additions with masculine names since every single time I've given a masculine name, it turns out to be female, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Most recently my sweet Milo is now known as Miley after belting out a very definitive "OUACK". We did leave my Crested Cream Legbar that was colored like a male as a chick named Freddie because she knew her name very well before I started thinking something wasn't quite right with this "cockerel". I guess I have always tried to will them into being females with the feminine names, but obviously that has absolutely no impact 🤣
Sounds like mine! We were sure we had to have a bunch of pullets and gave most feminine names. The one I was sure was going to be a male (for some reason) I named after a character in a book I read with my daughter. King Jupiter Smalls. (Smalls for short, but now we just call her Smallsy as she seems to be one of only 4 pullets of the 15 I hatched) All my awesome girly names like Tigerlily and Flora are looking like cockerels! Hoping I start getting some definite crowing soon so I can be sure of all my roos and find homes or freezers for them...

My hens momma and baby got there names when momma was broody for the first time. She was a yr old and didn't have a name. She is a black Australorp with a yellow band and a missing point at the center of her comb. Also has a single bit of white above her left eye. Like I said, she didn't originally have a name. She became broody, and we decided to pet one of our broody hens hatch eggs, something we've never done until then. She was the one we chose not to break from broodyness and let her sit on about ten eggs. Then, about 20 or so days later, she hatched out a single chick, an Australorp ee mix. At which point we all started calling her momma because she was such a good momma. And we started to call her only little one, baby. The names stuck with them. And now two years later, baby is a beautiful fluffy faced black hen, and momma is sitting on another clutch of developing eggs.

We also had a Japanese black bantam called peepers, and a white silky bantam called cotton ball. The two of them came to us as a few days old chicks. They were part of a group of five tsc rescue that were half dead. Peepers got his name because he peeped constantly without stop. They were all weak but peepers was the worst. Cotton ball got his name because he reminded me of a tiny cotton ball as a chick. Peepers as he recovered (which we didn't think he would) was realized to be nearly completely deaf. And he always used cotton ball as an emotional support chick and a crutch since he couldn't stand and balance well. He recovered but if we tried to take cotton ball the little cock would peep so loud that we could hear him from our basement.

Sounds like mine! We were sure we had to have a bunch of pullets and gave most feminine names. The one I was sure was going to be a male (for some reason) I named after a character in a book I read with my daughter. King Jupiter Smalls. (Smalls for short, but now we just call her Smallsy as she seems to be one of only 4 pullets of the 15 I hatched) All my awesome girly names like Tigerlily and Flora are looking like cockerels! Hoping I start getting some definite crowing soon so I can be sure of all my roos and find homes or freezers for them...
Aww...we went with pullets only this time, I was afraid to risk it!

Back
Top Bottom