Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Only the ones I’m not going to eat.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • No I don’t name them

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Only the ones I can tell apart.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
Thanks for participating!
I name all my birds, even those destined to be butchered.

All of my core group of 20 have names. My Welly roo is JarJar Binks, totally fits! One hen is Amelia (Earhart) she can fly over a 7' fence to get out but can't make it back in! Some after tv characters, my wife loved the Golden Girls. Unfortunately Rose and Sophia met a coon......Dorothy and Blanche are doing well. I have 28 young ones of various ages. As soon as I know who I'm keeping they will get names. Dorothy and Amelia are sisters, SLW/WL cross. I really love the way they look so hatched 7 of their eggs.....all boys!! That was a rooster heavy hatching, 11 of 15 are roos!

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
Going back over fifty years I usually only name roosters. But I did have a sweet Buff Orpington hen a few years ago that I called Jenny Lind because she would come into the coop and sing to me when I gathered eggs.

Do any of your chickens know their names? Mine sure don't!
One does. P. Diddy. She comes to "P Diddy" "P-McGee" "P," "Peanut" and other variations. The others only comes to "ladies" (even the rooster) but they all have names. They are pets that happen to lay eggs.
Like the other posters, I have a theme (mine is singers/rappers), but have varied that depending on their personality or specific looks.

All of my Cochins are name "Baby Love". My Buff Orpington's are called "Pumpkin" and my RIR 's are called "Lil Red". The new babies are called "Baby Dears." This way, when I call a name I get a group of chickens to respond. The Black Ostralorp's are called "Ebony." The Roosters have their own names. The Brahma's are called "Brahma."

I use bands or loose zip ties. Spending time with the flock and noticing subtle changes in feather patterns, temperament, how they act, how they walk, squawk, you may find you won't need bands or zip ties.

All of my chickens have names too! my family and I actually spent a while trying to figure them out (names are a pretty big deal in my family) and my father actually kept on trying to name them things like Chick-fil-A and Rotisserie and stuff like that, but we eventually talked out the names of everyone and came to an agreement.

2 Easter/Olive eggers: Boople and Snoot; because in the age of the internet a rabbit is called a Booplesnoot, and rabbits=Easter... They're cute names and my sisters love them.

2 Buff Orpingtons: Chonk and Butters*; because Chonk is a hefty lady, and Butters is yellow, like butter. Also she slips right through our grasp whenever we try to catch her, so yeah.

2 Silver-laced Wyandottes: Queen and Serena; Because when Queen was a baby, she was the boldest chick in the flock, and Serena because my mom named her. Also she is the only hen that will actually stay still when we go to pick her up.

2 Gold-laced Wyandottes: Sunny and Copper. Sunny was named because as a baby, she had the brightest tan horseshoe of all the chicks on her back, and now has orange and yellow in her feathering, whereas Copper does not. Copper was named because, well, I like saying Copper-Copper Crime stopper whenever I walk down to the coop. Also Gold and Copper are both metals.

And last but not least
2 Buckeyes: Erie and Kaska. Erie was named after lake Erie, as it borders on Ohio, and Kaska was named after the Kaskaskia tribe of native Americans who live in Ohio.

Hope some of their names brought a bit of a chuckle to any of you,
Have a good morning, noon, afternoon or night!
*Butters is also named after Exotic Butters. I hope some people get the reference.

Back
Top Bottom