naming chickens

I went for a theme as well...I went for Fairy Tale characters. I did have to google to find some acceptable names - thank goodness Disney named their princesses LOL. Like the red hens have a name that makes me think red: Aurora and Rose. The Barred Rocks all have names that start with a B (I had to twist Snow White's name into French to get Blanche). And three Sex Links got "G" names (here's where google helped me find a name from a TV show based on Fairy Tales) and a whiter sex link with black specks got "Cinderella" and the Barred Rock cockerel is "Prince Charming" (hopefully he lives up to his name).

CG

We let our two girls name the chicks we got in March. They are Rosie, Hannah, and Butterscotch. Well, wouldn't you know they are all boys?!
lau.gif
So we have a couple of cockerels named Hannah and Rosie, and we're use to calling them that and we're not changing lol.

We got 4 adult Brahmas a couple of weeks ago and shared in the naming. Our oldest daughter (6) named the roo Noah, our youngest daughter (2) named a hen Brightly Firefly (after some firefly on Jake & the Neverland Pirates), and my husband and I named a couple of hens Gertie and Penelope. :)

I have an odd way of naming mine. I say they name themselves. A couple of mine didn't but here goes, here's what I do:

At first, I give them temporary names just so I know who I'm talking to. Yes I talk to them lol. Then as they grow, from time to time I'll look at one and a name just pops into my mind. I say that bird has just told me it's name. And they end up being names I'd NEVER have thought of if I was trying to think of good names. Some aren't even good. So I've ended up with, at this time:

Olive
Pickles
Big Girl (original name - one that just stuck with what she started with)
Dixie
Sugar (who isn't sweet)
Tiger
Super Girl (started out as Soup - then she proved invaluable as a broody)

I like naming them with a theme in mind. We named ours after Dragon Age characters.

Barred Rock - Wynn
Easter Egger - Merrill
Australorp - Morrigan
Brahma - Andraste, bride of the maker!

I did theme names too. My girls are the Cane sisters:

Candy
Nova
Sola
Hurra
Raisin
and the possible roo Citizen

next time around I'll add:
Sugar
Crakco
maybe even Portiree, Amerry, and Domini
gig.gif

My kids name the chicks as soon as we bring them home. Then I rename some of them because I can't remember what they kids have named them. Currently we have Noisy (hen in charge and boy is she noisy) and OB (other buff orpington - we only had two the first time around), Chuck (Daughter named her and she's a weird chicken so I put a band around her leg to remember which one she is) Rocket (Rocky for short after the chicken from the movie chicken run that keeps escaping). We have two other chickens that have various names depending on the child you are talking to about them. We now have 6 more chickens and only one has a name. It's the rooster. Our last rooster was named runt because he was kind of runty for a while and we almost lost him as a baby. I named our new rooster stew, then kids named him dinner. It will be interesting to see what names we come up with for the other chickens.

HI! I have 'theme names' for our chickens too!
My granddaughters love the old Shirly Temple movie...."Heidi". So my 2 RIRs are Klara and Adeliene, (German for "Heidi"). These were the 2 main girl characters in the movie.
I named my 2 CuckooMarans after 'funny ladies"......from I Love Lucy tv show......"Lucy" and "Ethel".....
I do like the idea of spice names and Bible lady names too.
~Beulah

Last edited:
I love the Cane theme.
lau.gif

I did theme names too. My girls are the Cane sisters:

Candy
Nova
Sola
Hurra
Raisin
and the possible roo Citizen

next time around I'll add:
Sugar
Crakco
maybe even Portiree, Amerry, and Domini
gig.gif
CatUT: I came up with the same idea to name my one rooster that's going to end up in freezer camp: Stu (Stew). My DH said that it made him think of Family Guy.

Beulah: I love Lucy and Ethel for Cuckoo names.
big_smile.png

CG

Back
Top Bottom