Naming your farm/homestead?

All great names! We decided on ....

Drumroll please ...

Side by Side Family Farm!

My mom and grandma used to always sing the song "Oh, We Ain't Got a Barrel of Money ..." and it just seemed appropriate for our family.

Good name!

We named our property about a month and a half after we moved here over 18 years ago. We live on 15 acres in Northeast PA. Since I had lived close to NYC all my life with all of it's lights, the night sky (moon and stars) never looked that bright. I was amazed at what I had been missing in the night sky all those years. This one August night there was a full moon. I couldn't believe how bright it was outside. Then, I looked out the back window to see the field awash in moonlight with dark shadows being cast from the trees along the field's edge and the old shed. Right away I thought of MoonShadows Farm. The name took and we love it.

I am buying a second piece of property - moving the flock here to build an egg sales business. My original property where I live - and will continue to live here with a select few of the flock - is "Olmstead Homestead." My neighbors are too close here, and have complained about multiple roosters, which I have had to send away for processing. I don't want to do that any more.

The new place is a tad over 8 acres and very rugged land with some flat spots suitable for building. There is a seasonal creek - currently dry but it apparently flows quite impressively during the rainy season.

I've come up with "Rugged Roost Ranch."

However, a good friend suggested "Thistle Dew Ranch." What is so very clever about it is revealed when you say it aloud: This'll Do!

So I am very conflicted. Escrow closes in 20 days....

Nice name. We named ours Turkey Woods Farm because we specialize in turkeys and want to expand farther into that direction. Isn't naming one of the fun things we get to do? Next thing you know you'll be creating a logo too.

I am buying a second piece of property - moving the flock here to build an egg sales business. My original property where I live - and will continue to live here with a select few of the flock - is "Olmstead Homestead." My neighbors are too close here, and have complained about multiple roosters, which I have had to send away for processing. I don't want to do that any more.

The new place is a tad over 8 acres and very rugged land with some flat spots suitable for building. There is a seasonal creek - currently dry but it apparently flows quite impressively during the rainy season.

I've come up with "Rugged Roost Ranch."

However, a good friend suggested "Thistle Dew Ranch." What is so very clever about it is revealed when you say it aloud: This'll Do!

So I am very conflicted. Escrow closes in 20 days....
I love Thistle Dew Ranch! So cute!

"Wineinger Wetlands" is what I named the property when I moved back here. Used to be part of Francisco Farms (road named after the old Farmer.. now gone). My Grandpa Wineinger bought from him for hunting. Wetlands and state land are behind, I graduated from high school up here. I have 4.17 acres (long and d narrow) of the original farm but am at the bottom of the top 40 of the 80 original. Most of it is the transitional woodland edge and all kinds of springs bubble up and percolate down.

I named it that in the beginning as a tribute to my Grandpa and as my desire to preserve the wetland/natural state of the land. Was thinking about "Natural Nook Preserve" or "Nanny's Natural Nook" but decided the last would advertise that I live alone. So I am sticking so far with "Wineinger Wetlands".

Now the yard itself is hardpan clay! But just in the woods a spring bubbles and never freezes. Tree roots mostly grow ABOVE the ground and the soil is very mucky. It is filled with different kinds of bog/wetland type plants like jack in the pulpit, cedar, elderberry, willow, turtles head, and sedges.

The chickens love the wood edge where the elderberries, dogwood, currant, gooseberries, raspberries grow near the closest spring which is now a five foot wide hole with a runoff less than a foot wide meandering down onto neighbors.

Nice simple name based on a property characteristic. I like it. I also envy you that you have water on your property. When we bought our 15 acres that was the only thing missing except for a seasonal spring. I am determined, before I die, to build a small pond on our property even if I have to erect a wind mill and pump water out of the ground. For me, a farm is not complete without a stream, pond or lake. My grandparents had 2 ponds on their large farm.

Back
Top Bottom