Nana or Pop..?

Yabini

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2017
Australia
A little while ago I was given a young Silver Laced Wyandotte (couldn't be more than 8 months old I think) named Nana. I'd assumed it was female, but over the past couple weeks I've picked up some hints that it may not be the case? I've never owned a chicken before this (only have two currently - Nana and an ISA Brown Betty) I'm looking for any help possible in working out its gender. This morning I heard a really strange noise coming from their coop, nothing you'd normally hear that's for sure. It was almost like a broken crow? Aside from that Nana's very standoffish and can be a little aggressive towards Betty. The butt feathers haven't grown in fully yet but there may be other ways someone can work out the sex? Any help is appreciated! If Nana does turn out to be male I unfortunately won't be able to keep it where I live, so re-homeing to a loving family would be the next task :(
Thanks
[/IMG]

Unfortunately, it does appear to be a male. I see what appears to be shiny saddle feathers, white wing feathers, and pointy hackle feathers. I may be wrong as I am not expert, but that is what it appears to be to me.

Hi thanks for you fast reply!
I had also wondered about the hackle feathers, it does have the bright green shiny feathers on the wings if that means anything.
It also loves to stand up top of their coop and look around... very assertive.

What makes me think it is a young roo is that its chest is turning black and the wings have solid white feathers growing from them. Both genders of this breed appear to have shiny green feathers when in the sun, but I think that what you have is a roo...
1f644.png
Sorry

Howdy neighbour
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry that your little one might be a roo. If you are wanting a second opinion, you could try the Breed & Gender Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Also, if you get a chance, pop in to the Aussie Thread and say hello, you will be welcome: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-that-funny-little-island/32600#post_18123708

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

I'm wondering if the comb is so red because she (?) could be close to laying. I would think an 8 mos. old male would have tried to crow sooner. f you hear more of the broken crows, I would run to see if she/he is doing it.

Back
Top Bottom