Narangensett poult being a PECKER

lolos

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Hi everyone,

So we got two Blue Slate turkey poults and two Narangensetts (we plan to process them, just wanted to start small). These guys are just three days old, and I saw one of the narangensetts peck one of the blue slates in the EYEBALL. He got both eyelids and the poor guy can't hardly open his eyes now. I separated the hurt one because the other poults started picking on him more once he was hurt. Well then I saw the same serial "pecker" narangansett pecking at the other two right between the eyes, grabbing legs and pulling hard while the they scream bloody murder. So now I have everyone in separate boxes in their brooder and everyone is upset because they don't like being alone.

I'm treating the little guy who's eyelids got pecked with topical antibiotics, and he is doing much better.

I tried putting the Pecker with just the other narangensett and he picked on him too. I just don't know what to do with this jerk, how can I correct this behavior that he is doing to everyone? I don't want the others to learn that behavior either, and I can't keep them separate forever. Someone please help! I'm beside myself with these babies.

Sorry for the double post.. Can't figure out how to delete the other one!

Perhaps you can just remove the hannes poult? If you're using a white brooder bulb, you may want to change it to a red one so everything monotoned for the birds and therefore they peck less at "new" things.

It is their nature to stablished dominance. I seen that happen all the time with my poults. They will stop once they know who is the alpha. I don't remember seen this with the females but the males will chest bump and will start pulling the snood of each other. They will gang on each other and beat up the weak one. I have two males that will fight until one dominates the other, a few weeks later he is the one being dominated by the other one.

So we got two Blue Slate turkey poults and two Narangensetts (we plan to process them, just wanted to start small). These guys are just three days old, and I saw one of the narangensetts peck one of the blue slates in the EYEBALL. He got both eyelids and the poor guy can't hardly open his eyes now. I separated the hurt one because the other poults started picking on him more once he was hurt. Well then I saw the same serial "pecker" narangansett pecking at the other two right between the eyes, grabbing legs and pulling hard while the they scream bloody murder. So now I have everyone in separate boxes in their brooder and everyone is upset because they don't like being alone.

this is completely normal for poults that are only a couple days old. they are pecking at shiny things and trying to figure out what is food. once they figure out what is edible and what is not, there shouldn't be any problem.

Thank you for the suggestions. I added a few shiny rocks in there for them to peck at and some mirrors which seems to get their attentions away from their buddies as much. It is obvious that the Narangensetts are a little bit more of an aggressive breed though still compared to my blue slates.

Back
Top Bottom