Narragansett Turkeys Sexlinked?

O I C... we used to raise Narragansett turkeys and I couldn't tell a differnce in poults
idunno.gif

I hope this clears some things up rather than just confuse you more. Males have two sex-link genes and female have only one. A tom with two genes (color shows) will give one gene to his male offsping and one to his female offsping. A female with one gene (color shows) can only give a single gene to her male offsping (spits, one gene in males, do not show). Nargaganzett Tom (SL) crossed on a Bronze Hen (NL) will have Bronze Toms split and Naragansett hens.
The five possible pairings with the Sex-Linkage

SL for Sex-Linked (Naragansett and Brown)
NL for Non Sex-Linked
NL/SL for Non Sex-Linked/Sex-Linked (Only Toms can be split for the sexlink gene. The gene is hidden.)

Pairing Expectations

SL tom × SL hen= 50% SL tom 50% SL hens
SL tom × NL hen= 50% NL/SL tom 50% SL hens
NL tom × SL hen= 50% NL/SL tom 50% NL hens
NL/SL tom × SL hen= 25% SL tom 25% NL/SL tom 25% SL hens 25% NL hens
NL/SL tom × NL hen= 25% NL tom 25% NL/SL tom 25% SL hens 25% NL hens

Oh, so it's like chickens? The way it was worded i was under the uspumption that the breed it's self was a sexlinking breed.

I don't understand what your asking? There is no sex-link breeds even in chickens. Its only a gene that is sex-linked. They will not breed true. It is just a cross of a male that is sex linked to a non sex linked hen. In chickens a sex link gene is used to sex a chicken at hatch. It is a mix. In turkeys we can't sex a Naragansett from a Bronze because they both look the same at hatch. We can sex a brown (Chocolate) tom crosssed on a Black hen at hatch. All the hens will be chocolate.

Turkey is the breed. Narraganzett is a variety and a gene. When the Narraganseet gene is combined with the wild bronze gene we call the turkey a Narragansett. It is inherited by a recessive sex-linked dilute gene called Narragansett. Does that make since?

The Narragansett gene or color (ng) is what is sex-linked in its inheritance rather than a normal dominate or recessive inheritance. It is a dilute of black to grey. Many colors of turkeys have the Narragansett gene. Narraganzet, Palms, Mottled, Calico are examples.

Narragansett breed to Narragansett does breed true. It is only when you breed to something else that you need to know how it is passed.

Back
Top Bottom