Narragansett x Bourbon red?

jmartin0411

In the Brooder
May 13, 2016
Has anyone crossed these that might have adult pictures? I have two poults. I'm just curious to see how they might turn out. Right now they are medium/dark barred brown.

Has anyone crossed these that might have adult pictures? I have two poults. I'm just curious to see how they might turn out. Right now they are medium/dark barred brown.

It depends on which is the hen and which is the tom. If the tom is the Bourbon Red and the hen is the Narragansett, the offspring will all be Red Bronze.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/redbronze.htm

If the tom is the Narragansett and the hen is the Bourbon Red the males will all be Red Bronze and the females will all be Golden Narragansett.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/goldennarragansett.htm

Interesting! I wonder if the breeder can clarify! R2elk are these your birds on the page?

If a male of them were to cross back to a bourbon red, would the outcome bet the same?

Also, thoughts on this bugger? It is obviously not a bourbon red (as was thought when we got it).

Interesting! I wonder if the breeder can clarify! R2elk are these your birds on the page?

If a male of them were to cross back to a bourbon red, would the outcome bet the same?

Those are images provided by Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys. The results were determined by using the Turkey Color Calculator that they provide. According to the calculator, crossing a Red Bronze tom with a Bourbon Red hen can produce:

Red Bronze (hens and toms)
Bourbon Red (hens and toms)
Golden Narragansetts (hens)
Bourbon Buffs (hens)

Some of these will contain a hidden Narragansett gene and some won't. If the father was the Bourbon Red and the mother was the Narragansett, then 50% of their Red Bronze offspring would not have the recessive Narragansett gene. In that case your proposed cross of the Red Bronze tom with a Bourbon Red hen would only produce Red Bronze and Bourbon Reds. Of course this implies that there are no other hidden recessive genes in the originals.

If you visit Porter's site, you can read the descriptions of the various color varieties and whether they will breed true to color or not. If a turkey has heterozygous color genes it will not breed true but if it has homozygous color genes and is bred to a turkey with those same homozygous color genes, it will breed true to color.

Back
Top Bottom