nasal discharge,breathing difficulty

Gloria's Gang

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Atkinson, NH
My silver wyandotte hen Roberta is sick. She has been squaking a loud odd call for the past week or so but otherwise seemed ok. Three days ago I looked her over real good and noticed a yellowy discharge from her nasal holes and one eye was a bit crusty. She also felt thin. I brought her in the garage in a dog crate, gave ACV water, wiped her nose with warm water Vet RX. Offered yogurt and applesauce. She is not eating or drinking. She is squatting in the crate and her head starts to slowly droop like she is falling asleep, then jerks up to take a breath. Her crop is flat and empty. I squeeze it to see if anything comes out with her head down and nothing. Only a bit of gargling. Now this morning my golden laced wyandotte was making the same weird squaking when I let them out this morning. I immediately brought her in and put her in a separate cage. She is perky and has plenty of body weight but her crop is flat and empty. No discharge. Followed the same procedure with her. Roberta seems to be on her last leg and is barely hanging on. I think I caught Gladys before she got as bad. What is going on?! I take good care of my flock of 16 and have never had any problems. My newest additions were back in April. Everyone seemed healthy. Help, please, before anyone else gets sick!

Gloria's Gang :

My silver wyandotte hen Roberta is sick. She has been squaking a loud odd call for the past week or so but otherwise seemed ok. Three days ago I looked her over real good and noticed a yellowy discharge from her nasal holes and one eye was a bit crusty. She also felt thin. I brought her in the garage in a dog crate, gave ACV water, wiped her nose with warm water Vet RX. Offered yogurt and applesauce. She is not eating or drinking. She is squatting in the crate and her head starts to slowly droop like she is falling asleep, then jerks up to take a breath. Her crop is flat and empty. I squeeze it to see if anything comes out with her head down and nothing. Only a bit of gargling. Now this morning my golden laced wyandotte was making the same weird squaking when I let them out this morning. I immediately brought her in and put her in a separate cage. She is perky and has plenty of body weight but her crop is flat and empty. No discharge. Followed the same procedure with her. Roberta seems to be on her last leg and is barely hanging on. I think I caught Gladys before she got as bad. What is going on?! I take good care of my flock of 16 and have never had any problems. My newest additions were back in April. Everyone seemed healthy. Help, please, before anyone else gets sick!

hiya my roo zeebs was exactly the same,is she like gasping gaping when she takes aa breath.zeebs had gapeworms,could be worth looking into,xx​

Yes she is like gasping for breath with her mouth gaping open. I don't know much about that kind of worms. I check their poop every day for signs of anything out of the ordinary.

Roberta's left side seems a bit swollen. Gladys's is not. Her resperatory symptoms are similar to sinus and chest congestion. The crusty nasal passages and one crusty eye are also consistant with a cold. I am so afraid of whatever this is, spreading to the rest of my flock. The two hens involved are about 1 1/2 years old. I have 5 older hens and several that are the same age or younger. I am thinking of bleaching the whole interior of the coop in case it is a virus.

Heres my 2 cents: Sounds like a possible respritory infection....Good for you to quarentene. Time for antibiotics. TYLAN50 is a good place to start. This will be injected in the muscle of the breast. Go to your local feed store/coop/etc to get this and needle&syringe. 1cc once a day for 7 days. If symptoms are still there after the 7 days then you might need to change meds to something stronger like Sulmet or AGRIMYCIN200 [again an injectable / same amount but for 4 days only]. Also give electroyltes / vitamin water / lots of protien rich foods and see what happens. I hope that helps.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom