nasal discharge/sneezing

itsmyaddiction

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Okay, I am going to try to make this as short as possible. I need some insight on a respiratory thing that some of my older girls in my flock have. About a week ago one of my BR hens started sneezing, then I noticed a few small bubbles in her right eye. A few days passed and she sneezed when she was standing nest to me and I could see clear fluid on her beak. I started duramycin on Wednesday because she and my Polish splash roo were crackling. They have been inside the coop since Wednesday. They free range my property so as you can imagine they are NOT happy.
What would cause this first of all? Also what can I do to get them better? At this point I am not sleeping and I am worried that I am going to have to kill ALL 14 in that flock

I went out today and purchased Aureomycin medicated crumble to add to their food and oxytetracycline-343 for their water. The duramycin doesn't seem to be doing a thing so I opted to try the Oxy. I have other chickens and ducks that free range my property and I don't want them to get sick either. I am beside myself in knowing what else to do. Can someone please help me?

Btw, the sick coop is eating and drinking just fine, going through 2 gallons of the medicated water daily. Hope to hear from ya'll SOON! Thank you in advance

IB and coryza are also possibilities. As stated, these are viral, so antibiotics are of no use, and will just build resistance in the chicken.

Here is a link:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/search/index.php?q=respiratory+diseases&cat=4

Most problems chickens get are either viral or parasitic.

Give supportive care and some form of probiotics; plain live culture yogurt is good.

Some here choose to cull the flock and disinfect everything.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I really do appreciate it!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom