Nasally Bantams and Green poo

Aunt ruth

TheSpeckledBlonde
Sep 25, 2013
The South
I have three little Bantams that have both wet and dry fowl pox. The the smaller OEGB has had the worst of it so far but is acting herself now. I have noticed that she sounds sort of raspy/nasally and mucus comes out of her nose when she sneezes. Is there anyway I can help relieve some of that congestion? I suppose its possible she as lesion in her throat that i cant see but she is eating normally and does not seem to be gasping for air. The D'uccle has a clean mouth but an irritated, bubbly eye. She is also starting to sound a bit nasally but is still eating and breathing normally. I have also noticed bright green, both solid and runny, poop from all the birds especially the D'uccle. They have been getting Nutri-drench vitamins and that is what i have attributed it to but after doing some research Im not entirely sure. I plan on getting some Tylan 50 today and giving it to them via drinking water for five days. The bedding in their coop is sand and they free range for an hour or so everyday i previously hadn't given them any grit but I think I may now.

Any advice care or treatment for my girls will be appreciated.

Thanks

-Abby

Here is a good site to read for your situation.
You should read it and get tips but what I got from it, in short:
1. Kill all mosquito's immediately so they don't spread to others. Fan is most effective because mosquito's can't fly with air moving around.
2. Quarantine the effected chicks from the non-infected for 2 weeks.
3. Immediately go get the non-infected birds vaccinated or your going to have a whole flock to deal with this.
http://chickenheavenonearth.weebly.com/fowl-pox-symptoms--treatments.html

I agree with Chickery Chick's suggestions. Here are some other information/suggestions:

• I'm not sure that putting the Tylan in the water will work. There's a special powdered Tylan version that you can dissolve in the water, but I don't think that you can put the normal Tylan injectable into the water. You can give it as an injection, or orally.
  • If the congestion is being caused by a respiratory disease, the Tylan should help. However, you could also try getting some VetRx. This medication helps with mild respiratory diseases, and can help congested birds. It shouldn't be too difficult to find.
  • Remember to not give probiotics or other dairy products, as well as apple cider vinegar when using Tylan. These can interfere with its working ability.
  • Green droppings are most commonly caused by a bird not getting enough to eat, though there are other causes, including liver problems. Make sure your birds get enough to eat by giving some tempting foods like scrambled egg and moistened feed.
  • In the future, if you get new birds, I recommend vaccinating them for Fowl Pox. The Fowl Pox vaccine is given in the wing web when a bird is around twelve weeks old. Here is a link to Fowl Pox vaccine (though there are other places to get it too): http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....in_page=product_info&cPath=46&products_id=567

Hope this helps! Good luck with your chickens.

Here is a good site to read for your situation.
You should read it and get tips but what I got from it, in short:
1. Kill all mosquito's immediately so they don't spread to others. Fan is most effective because mosquito's can't fly with air moving around.
2. Quarantine the effected chicks from the non-infected for 2 weeks.
3. Immediately go get the non-infected birds vaccinated or your going to have a whole flock to deal with this.
http://chickenheavenonearth.weebly.com/fowl-pox-symptoms--treatments.html

I only have three bannies and they live in close quarters so they are all infected at this point.

The Tylan 50 needs to be given to each bird by mouth to get an exact dose. It is not for the water. It is an injectable medication used orally. Green poop can be from several different reasons--poor food intake or eating greens. Perhaps it is the vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom