1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nasty rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SERFASS' CHICKEN COOP, Oct 23, 2009.

1. tlcorley

tlcorley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    near Tulsa, Oklahoma
    my DH says tie it up and use it for coyote bait. kinda helps 2 ways, get rid of the mean roo and lure the coyote to be offed.

he can be mean when the chickens are being bothered...[​IMG][​IMG]

2. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    ouch, sounds mean.

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    To THE SOUP with him.

4. peggym

peggym Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    [​IMG]I had a very mean black langshan roo!!! Ya I know, they're suppose to be gentle. Well he wasn't just mean to people, he ended up killing two of my hens, just by mounting them. He grabbed them by the back of the neck and broke their necks. So he unfornately saw the wrong end of a 22!!!!! Usually when I have a mean roo I grab him by the feet and hold him upside down for a minute, this usually makes them think twice about coming after me. I do have a blue cochin roo who sometimes thinks about going after me, but with him I just point my finger at him and tell him no. And he listens!!!! He's a bit of a big baby.

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    just eat him,finish the story. [​IMG]

6. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    get another rooster if you don't wanna kill him, get a bigger one. It worked with all of my roosters don't know why but it does

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:It happens in every breed, so I'm not really surprised. Good for you for getting rid of him!

8. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Ohh! what about like Home Made chicken and brocoli pot pies? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm hungry now.

9. CritterCamp

CritterCamp New Egg

May 10, 2014
    I have an EE I call Rooster McNasty. He has attacked me dozens of times. I am going to learn butchering on him soon.

Where do you shoot him with a 22? How many shots does it take?

I need to do this soon because I have two EE hens that he has been very rough with, and I want to put them in with my 22 Buff Orps, who are 8 weeks old.

I will shoot McNasty. He is not intimidated by the small rake I use to protect myself. I don't think I could grab him without getting my eyes clawed out.

10. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    I tried it out with one, he would rarely jump me but anyone else he would.. Off to freezer camp he went.. The Crockpot works well on roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by