Nasty stool in Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pgras123, Oct 17, 2008.

1. pgras123

pgras123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    I bought 6 pulletts to add to my 9 healthy birds but have not put them in the hen house yet, they have been quarentined in their own set up for two weeks now and I have been watching - now after reading alot on this I will only buy chicks in the future.

They seem healthy - I built an outside pen for them etc, but I cant help but notice one of the pulletts seems to have a watery stool- reddish looking maybe? Perhaps it is no big deal - I watched one of the others go just today and it was nice and solid. What should I give them to help this nasty dark brown/reddish watery stool - I think it is only one bird of the six I have quarentined?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IF it's the reddish brown liquid stuff I'm thinking of then it's perfectly normal. Every six or seven stools will be loose like that and it's normal.
    ETA: I had some time so I found the thread for you where JennsPeeps explains the different types of poo:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=91786

The type of poo I believe you are referring to is called cecal.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by