Native grasses?

If you’re planting outside the run for your free ranging chickens, be sure to plant a mix. And include legumes! Clover, of course, and various types of field peas. Good for the soil and the chickies. Winter rye or whatever is native to your area would be great.

They do eat a lot of greens, but it’s hunting for bugs, grubs, and worms that gives them protein and makes them excited!

If you’re planting outside the run for your free ranging chickens, be sure to plant a mix. And include legumes! Clover, of course, and various types of field peas. Good for the soil and the chickies. Winter rye or whatever is native to your area would be great.

They do eat a lot of greens, but it’s hunting for bugs, grubs, and worms that gives them protein and makes them excited!

I was thinking of casting out a few collard seed in the fall and cabbage in the spring also.
Thoughts?

In the garden, or in the field? They will probably eat the small plants if available. If you plant a garden to supply them, I know a cabbage can provide great winter entertainment when suspended like a piñata!

Out along the edges of the backyard, maybe even along the outside of their run, definitely in the paddocks. If they don't want them there the sheep and llama should love them.

Mine helped keeping tomato horn worms and potato beetles out of the garden, but many veggies will be irresistible too. They also helped with squash bugs, but did eat some squash...
Mary[/QUOTE

HAHA. I can't imagine that they would eat your garden veggies... hahahahaha.
Seriously though. I know they are supposed to be good for garden pests, but is the loss of what they take worth the work they do? I suppose that is a good question to ask. I will have to find the appropriate forum and begin a thread to ask in the morning.

You will have to fence them out of anything you plant. Chickens will destroy any freshly planted areas. I always offer a ration free choice and my birds forage all they want. In winter they get hay to pick through made from our hay fields, as well as a ration.
Please be sure to search for a list on line to read what plants are poisonous to chickens. I’m glad I did. I have a lot of perennials growing in the yard. Found that Lupines and Foxglove are poisonous to chickens. My girls will be fenced in a run so they can’t access those plants. Also they love my herbs. I have given them parsley, cilantro and oregano.

Please be sure to search for a list on line to read what plants are poisonous to chickens. I’m glad I did. I have a lot of perennials growing in the yard. Found that Lupines and Foxglove are poisonous to chickens. My girls will be fenced in a run so they can’t access those plants. Also they love my herbs. I have given them parsley, cilantro and oregano.

Thank you for the tidbit. I will most definitely be conscientious in my seed selection. And can I plant the herbs you listed in or near their covered run area?

Back
Top Bottom