Natural cures to roundworms / other internal parasites

bngowe

Songster
9 Years
Sep 14, 2014
So I butchered a cockerel and discovered roundworms in the intestines ( it creeped the heck out of me at first). I know there's medication out there, but I was wondering what types of natural ingredients do people use to rid round worms & other internal parasites in their chickens? So far I've only read about garlic and apple cider vinegar for chickens, but researching about roundworms in humans, there are plenty of other natural remedies for internal parasites. I would assume these should work just as well for chickens, no? Has anyone tried other natural ingredients?
Example of some other herbs / natural remedies include:
Thyme : effective in hook-worms, roundworms, thread worms, and skin parasites.
Ginger: roundworms , blood fluke , salmonella.
Pumpkin seeds: round worms and tape worms
Wormwood: for roundworms, hookworms, and tape worms
Coconut: treatment for roundworms
Pomegranate roots and stems: has punicine, which is highly toxic to intestinal worms.
Papaya: enzyme papain helps destroy roundworms.
And the list goes on!

Not gonna comment on natural vs chemical wormers, but just thought you should know that you also need to worry about capillary worms in poultry.

-Kathy

So I butchered a cockerel and discovered roundworms in the intestines ( it creeped the heck out of me at first). I know there's medication out there, but I was wondering what types of natural ingredients do people use to rid round worms & other internal parasites in their chickens? So far I've only read about garlic and apple cider vinegar for chickens, but researching about roundworms in humans, there are plenty of other natural remedies for internal parasites. I would assume these should work just as well for chickens, no? Has anyone tried other natural ingredients?
Example of some other herbs / natural remedies include:
Thyme : effective in hook-worms, roundworms, thread worms, and skin parasites.
Ginger: roundworms , blood fluke , salmonella.
Pumpkin seeds: round worms and tape worms
Wormwood: for roundworms, hookworms, and tape worms
Coconut: treatment for roundworms
Pomegranate roots and stems: has punicine, which is highly toxic to intestinal worms.
Papaya: enzyme papain helps destroy roundworms.
And the list goes on!
Do you worm your dog or cat with this stuff?

Hi bngowe :)

Like casportpony I am not going to comment on natural vs chemical wormers as that can of worms has been opened many times
wink.png

Everyone has their own preference and I am one who goes down the chemical path.

I do, however, add ACV to my gals water (another can of worms with lots of differing opinions). I just wanted to add that one school of thought is that ACV maintains a good pH balance in the digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. ACV is not a remedy and is only a possible deterrent.

I hope you are able to find something that works for you.

Regards
Teila

I've used ACV in water for years and still had to treat for worms. Uncomfortable or not in the digestive tract, if their feet touch the ground, they'll get worms. One worm is one worm too many and one worm lays hundreds of thousands of eggs onto the soil each day contaminating the soil. When birds naturally peck the ground, they pick up worm eggs starting their lifecycle over again.

Last edited:
I've used ACV in water for years and still had to treat for worms. Uncomfortable or not in the digestive tract, if their feet touch the ground, they'll get worms. One worm is one worm too many and one worm lays hundreds of thousands of eggs onto the soil each day contaminating the soil. When birds naturally peck the ground, they pick up worm eggs starting their lifecycle over again.

Totally agree!

I also regularly worm my gals.

I was concerned that ACV was mentioned in a list of remedies and wanted to point out that it was only a possible deterrent at best :)

Teila

I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm new and didn't realize it was such a hot topic. I just did a quick search and it seemed that there wasn't much information on natural cures and only mentions of chemical ones. Unlike a cat or dog, I will eventually eat these chickens, and I realize a little bit of medication may not hurt me, but if I could, I would prefer to have less chemicals in my food as much as possible. My just curious to what other natural herbs / ingredients have people used for parasites and if it worked at all? I see no harm in trying natural remedies, and if none of them work, then chemical deworming it is.

Id like to compare it to my allergies. I have horrible allergies and I use to have to live off of Claritin / any other allergy drug during the spring. Well someone recommended trying local honey to see if it would help with my allergies. It worked. It lightened my allergies significantly and worked even better than Claritin for me. There are many natural ingredients out there for plenty of different ailments and I don't see anything wrong with asking what other ingredients work other than acv & garlic. Why would people be offended ? I'm not advocating against vaccinating children and telling you it causes autism. Just wondering if anything out there would work the same as local honey to allergies. :)

I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm new and didn't realize it was such a hot topic. I just did a quick search and it seemed that there wasn't much information on natural cures and only mentions of chemical ones. Unlike a cat or dog, I will eventually eat these chickens, and I realize a little bit of medication may not hurt me, but if I could, I would prefer to have less chemicals in my food as much as possible. My just curious to what other natural herbs / ingredients have people used for parasites and if it worked at all? I see no harm in trying natural remedies, and if none of them work, then chemical deworming it is.

Hey bngowe, no offense taken at all. I have just learnt that sometimes it is easier to leave some topics up to those who like to debate
wink.png

I totally understand your reasons for looking at natural alternatives and if you find one that works and kills the worms, I would be very interested. I do believe there are quite a few natural herbs/ingredients that may contribute to deterring worms but not so sure about actually getting rid of existing worms.

Just a thought but I remember you mentioned that the bird you butchered had worms .. maybe it may be worth an initial chemical dose to rid your flock of the worms that they most likely have now and then try preventatives?

I am sorry if I upset you at all or made you feel uncomfortable that was not my intention, I simply wanted to point out that ACV will not kill worms.

Back
Top Bottom