natural diet

Protein is expensive and growing chickens have to have more protein to build muscle mass. Excess protein is only detrimental in animals that have impaired kidney function. I'm a veterinarian and was hoping to get the Purina rep to reply to my original post but sadly, that didn't happen.

Protein is expensive and growing chickens have to have more protein to build muscle mass.  Excess protein is only detrimental in animals that have impaired kidney function.  I'm a veterinarian and was hoping to get the Purina rep to reply to my original post but sadly, that didn't happen.

Most research on chickens I have seen is done on young birds raised for eggs or meat. You might try emailing Purina directly.

Our vet said she has seen kidney issues in dogs eating a high percentage of protein (38%). But chickens are different...

Last edited:
Protein is expensive and growing chickens have to have more protein to build muscle mass. Excess protein is only detrimental in animals that have impaired kidney function. I'm a veterinarian and was hoping to get the Purina rep to reply to my original post but sadly, that didn't happen.
I found your thread by looking up the animal protein in chicken feed. I am having a problem with finding any brands of feed with any animal protein in it and to supplement my hens would cost me a fortune, they don't free range like some people's do but they do have a large area to be a chicken scratching etc. My feed dealer just stocked some feed for me but the other dealer I use said to get what I want it would have to be UPS to me and it would cost too much so if you have some suggestions I'll take your advice. I don't have a problem with paying for my feed but it is getting ridiculous when I can't find anything locally to make me happy. The dealers I have are Purina and Nutrena so I have the option. I did email Nutrena about their Sportsman Choice feed but the mill is not close to me so could not get it. I'll follow your thread and see what happens.

I'm interpreting your post that your chickens do go outside in an enclosed area? One way to supplement their protein is to hook up an outdoor light that shines on the ground inside their enclosure at dusk. It will attract bugs for them. Another is to give them table scraps - bones with scraps of meat on them, anything with cheese in it, leftover scrambled eggs. I'd avoid "junk food" and anything containing avocado but other than that, go for it. A third way to increase their protein is to give them access to seeds and grains. If their chicken yard gets scratched down to bare dirt you can plant seeds in pots and put a pot of mature grasses in their run so they can eat the seed heads. This time of year my chickens are leaping up to reach the seed heads of wild grasses but you could plant pots of barley or rye or other grains to give them. Or take a walk and collect wild grasses and give them a bouquet of seed heads. They will appreciate the variety!

I think we get sucked into believing that animals "have" to have a certain % of each nutrient and therefore we have to buy a commercial, pelleted diet. Really?? Like we balance our own meals that rigorously?? And would we enjoy them if we did? If there was a Purina Human Chow, is that what we'd want? Of course not. And neither do our chickens/dogs/cats/etc. Let them enjoy the foods they evolved to digest - and I'm pretty sure none of them evolved to digest pellets.

I'm interpreting your post that your chickens do go outside in an enclosed area?  One way to supplement their protein is to hook up an outdoor light that shines on the ground inside their enclosure at dusk.  It will attract bugs for them.  Another is to give them table scraps - bones with scraps of meat on them, anything with cheese in it, leftover scrambled eggs.  I'd avoid "junk food" and anything containing avocado but other than that, go for it.  A third way to increase their protein is to give them access to seeds and grains.  If their chicken yard gets scratched down to bare dirt you can plant seeds in pots and put a pot of mature grasses in their run so they can eat the seed heads.  This time of year my chickens are leaping up to reach the seed heads of wild grasses but you could plant pots of barley or rye or other grains to give them.  Or take a walk and collect wild grasses and give them a bouquet of seed heads.  They will appreciate the variety!  

I think we get sucked into believing that animals "have" to have a certain % of each nutrient and therefore we have to buy a commercial, pelleted diet.  Really??  Like we balance our own meals that rigorously??  And would we enjoy them if we did?  If there was a Purina Human Chow, is that what we'd want?  Of course not.  And neither do our chickens/dogs/cats/etc.  Let them enjoy the foods they evolved to digest - and I'm pretty sure none of them evolved to digest pellets.

Well, see that's why I was confused by your original post.. . I assumed you were trying to feed your birds nothing but meat! Lol see how easily I get confused ;)

I don't use bagged feed. Atcall. I mix my own from fresh grains and legumes. Any protein from outside their feed would be the insects they get while free ranging, and some snacks of mealworms... I don't add in animal protein byproducts; just personal preference.. Oh, except the oyster shell ;)

No bagged feed for me. I raise these grains for a living; I know what happens at the mill when you're not looking :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom