Natural feed?

SarahMelisse

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
Sonora, California
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone here feed their quail a more natural feed? I just bought a dozen quail, but am wondering if anyone has had success feeding their quail something other than commercial game bird crumbles. I feed all of my meat rabbits, fiber rabbits, and laying chickens sprouted barley fodder and am looking to do something similar for the quail.
Also, do quail need calcium supplemented like chickens need oyster shell?
Thanks!

Yes it is a good idea to supply oyster shell/calcium for laying quail. And feeding quail a natural diet like sprouted fodder is a good idea. I always give my quail game bird feed along with treats and greens to keep up with their protein needs and thus am not going "oh naturale" as you can see. But am willing to see what pops up here.

Wish you the best.

I feed my two adult button quail Harrison's High Potency Mash. It is labeled as 20% protein, but I supplement with live crickets and freeze-dried blood worms for added protein. I was directed to this line from a woman who raises button quail for show, and I must say that this feed definitely makes a difference in the overall health appearance and feather sheen in my two buttons. I also add hard-boiled egg yolks once a week mainly to make sure they are getting the added nutrition, but also because my birds love this as a treat. I also give sprouts and wheat grass clippings for additional nutrition. There was no problem with my birds switching to the Harrison's brand from the regular Purina brand Game Bird feed.
----------------------------------
I'm sorry that I just noticed your question about oyster shell for added calcium. From what I have read and have been told from other quail breeders, the female hen requires additional calcium due to the fact that she lays an egg daily. If her diet is not supplemented with additional calcium, a hen can become calcium deficient, producing thin-shelled eggs and eventually causing her illness and/or a shorter life span due to calcium deficiency. For this reason, I keep a dish of oyster shell grit in the aviary for my laying hen. The male will eat very little of this, but my female will eat more, as if she knows that this is something she needs.

Last edited:
Depends what quail species you have. Mines are mostly vegetarians and so I provide them bird seed mix and greens. I also give them meal worms but keep it on the low side. It's a different diet when they are egg laying though.

Back
Top Bottom