Natural Nest incubation(my attempt)

I agree! It is fun to read about. I can't wait to do this with my kids. This year we will start off with chicks and work through those bumps but I am already excited to hatch some eggs and watch my kids see and help with the magic! I think theses chicks will be very strong too! Reading about hatching chicks makes me wonder how hens do it! They are good little busy Mamas!

Hens are very busy moms and I honestly don't know if they can keep internal egg temps stable, because I certainly can't, so what I do is whenever my internal temps get around 100* I open, air for a bit, turn, and rotate. And honestly I think that's a bit more natural. Most of the time its less then 2 minutes, but once a day they get around 15 minutes. I'm still trying to come up with a plan for the end.

That's the meaning of life. That is is beautiful and unexpected and changes. I'm actually enjoying this experiment and if it works I'm gonna keep using it.

Also my husband made a good point when I was trying to sanitize my LG, that hens aren't clean and dirt iisnt clean. So I can't help but thinking these babies will be strong then my LG ones.

Your husband is right, hens are anything but sanitary. However, an incubator isn't a plot of dirt that is outside and subject to freezing temperatures that kill off bacteria, etc. Incubators, with their humidity and very warm temperatures, are a breeding ground for a concentrated source of bacteria, lots of them.

Your husband is right, hens are anything but sanitary.  However, an incubator isn't a plot of dirt that is outside and subject to freezing temperatures that kill off bacteria, etc.  Incubators, with their humidity and very warm temperatures,  are a breeding ground for a concentrated source of bacteria, lots of them.

So a mostly dry hatch and a day in the freezer it is. :)

It makes sense to me.  I don't think hens can keep them at a constant temp.  what needs to happen at the end?

I need to decide if I'm gonna do a "lockdown" or keep turning til they hatch.

Hens are very busy moms and I honestly don't know if they can keep internal egg temps stable, because I certainly can't, so what I do is whenever my internal temps get around 100* I open, air for a bit, turn, and rotate. And honestly I think that's a bit more natural. Most of the time its less then 2 minutes, but once a day they get around 15 minutes. I'm still trying to come up with a plan for the end.
We don't know that they do...at least I've never heard of a study that monitored what temps the eggs are under a hen for 21 days...would be interesting to know tho.

The studies I read indicated the brood patch is really a small triangular area into which the eggs are moved into and out of according to their stages of growth, which the hen determines by talking to the eggs and listening for peeps. I guess once she hears all peeps in all eggs, it's just a random shuffle at that point?

Back
Top Bottom