Natural/Organic deworming options?

TheMorrigan

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
New to Chickens. Raised dairy goats growing up so it made me wonder what types of dewormer options there are besides something you get at the farm supply store that would work for my new flock. They are only 2 months old currently. We plan to free range once they are trained to go inside their coop at night on their own. I’ve heard “use apple cider vinegar” or “use red pepper flakes” … but figured I’d see what some opinions are on here😊(glad to have found this website btw! It’s been a wealth of knowledge for me!) Also… is there a certain age that we should start deworming? And how often? Thanks so much!

Welcome to byc.
Unfortunatly, there is no known natural dewormer. Some plants do contain some anthelmintic properties BUT the affects are so minuscule and the plants also contain low level toxicity, that the amounts needed to cause even a slight deworming would also kill your birds.
Apple Cider vinegar gets too much credit, it can't do 90% of the purposes it's said to achieve. It has no worming properties. Neither does chili flakes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/trouble-in-parasites.78256/

Welcome to byc.
Unfortunatly, there is no known natural dewormer. Some plants do contain some anthelmintic properties BUT the affects are so minuscule and the plants also contain low level toxicity, that the amounts needed to cause even a slight deworming would also kill your birds.
Apple Cider vinegar gets too much credit, it can't do 90% of the purposes it's said to achieve. It has no worming properties. Neither does chili flakes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/trouble-in-parasites.78256/
Thanks for the link and info!

Diatomaceous Earth. It's an organic powder that comes from fossilized remains of diatoms.
It works well for deworming, at least in my experience. Just mix a little bit into their food, and they will be perfect.
However, I'm not sure about what age you should start deworming :thumbsup.
:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie
It is impossible for DE to work as a dewormer. This is not true.

Diatomaceous Earth. It's an organic powder that comes from fossilized remains of diatoms.
It works well for deworming, at least in my experience. Just mix a little bit into their food, and they will be perfect.
However, I'm not sure about what age you should start deworming :thumbsup.
It has no anthelmintic properties, is a respiratory irritant and is harvested by strip mining. It's ineffective and unsafe.

:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie
It is impossible for DE to work as a dewormer. This is not true.
It has no anthelmintic properties, is a respiratory irritant and is harvested by strip mining. It's ineffective and unsafe.

Thanks. I had no idea. This was just what I learned on the internet and from other BYC users.
I've deleted my previous post.
I'll try not to use diatomaceous earth in the future.

Thanks. I had no idea. This was just what I learned on the internet and from other BYC users.
I've deleted my previous post.
I'll try not to use diatomaceous earth in the future.
You can leave it up if you want, we're not the worming police. I'm surprised you read it here, most members aside from a few newbies know better.

Welcome!
Your chicks may never need worming, or they may have issues that do need treatment. It depends on what's in your soil, and what they eat out there.
Don't bother with DE, as mentioned already. Having a fecal checked at your veterinarian's is a good idea, if you are ever concerned. Chickens are not goats!
Adding your approximate location on your profile helps too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom