Natural Practices to prevent Health issues?

Wow...that opened up a big can of worms. I've been a chicken mom for a little over a year. So, my advice is probably nothing. But, I believe in fresh water daily, great organic commercial feed, fresh veggies at least 4/week and love. They dust bathe in the garden and poop is cleaned out every morning from our small TSC coop. We all greet the girls throughout the day and get 4 eggs from 5 daily. The light Brahma is a hit and miss case but my son loves her. When we put them in at night, my son says "I love you girls!" None of the girls have been sick and love lavender sprinkled around the run and pen. That's all. Love your chickens and they'll love you back. (I do other things as well but we all should know to cleanup regularly)

Plain water, no additives. Nutritionally complete chicken feed, no additives. Fresh air, sunshine, fresh forage, occasional scratch or kitchen scraps. Brooder raised chicks raised almost exactly as a broody hen does....warm, dark, secure place to duck under, brooded from the start outdoors on the same ground they’ll always live on, and allowing them to totally self-regulate their needs, exposed to ambient temperatures and natural day/night cycles. Not being afraid to dispatch a bird that is ill or seriously injured. And understanding that raising these wonderful critters doesn’t have to be intimidating or complex.

One thing to remember with all of this is that illness and disease are natural. Animals getting minor wounds infected and dying is natural. Animals getting such a heavy parasite load that they die is natural. Wild animals in their natural environment practically never die of old age- the closest they get is dying when age starts to slow them down.
"Natural" only goes so far, and "unnatural" isn't inherently harmful. It's not as if it's natural for animals to have a constant supply of clean, perfectly formulated feed available- wild animals die of malnutrition all the time. A pen that keeps them safe from predators and a frequently cleaned water dish are also unnatural, but they're very good for your birds. And, of course, any sort of medical treatment (even if it's just washing and bandaging a wound) is unnatural, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't provide it.
Give them good, nutritious food, good water, and a clean environment. When they inevitably get sick, because disease is inevitable, treat with something appropriate regardless of how "natural" it is.

And don't use diatomaceous earth. It's useless at best, harmful to the lungs at worst.

Last edited:
In addition to what everybody here writes; clean water, good feed and clean coop, I believe the benefit of a stimulating and enriching environment shouldn't be underestimated. Bored chickens lead to bad habits and stereotypical behavior. Happy chickens participate in healthy and natural behavior.
Providing not only treats (the obvious enrichment) but socialization, new surroundings and stuff to entice their curiosity. It obviously won't cure diseases, but it will go a long way to prevent problems regarding mental issues and their general well being.

Good Afternoon!

I want to hear some natural practices you guys do to prevent possible health issues? Is there anything anyone swears by?

Curious to see what/if anyone has had success.

Thank you!
Possibly the most important factor in the health of chickens is genetics. Know the provenance of what you get and meet the parents. Essentially this rules out hatcheries, farm store bargain buckets and many breeders.
Most breeders don't breed for health, they breed for looks.
Keep a closed flock. Every time you add to your flock from an outside source you take a risk.
Pick a breed suitable for your climate and proposed keeping conditions.
If you want to show your chickens then you must keep them permanently separated from the rest of your flock in full quarantine conditions.
Feed the right feed for the right chicken. Feeds are formulated for particular purposes. Layers feed for example is for chickens that lay lots of eggs. It's not for pullets, roosters, or pensioners.
The ground your chickens live on is where many diseases live and breed. Having a spotless coop is great, but pointless if the ground your chickens scratch and peck in is full of pathogens.
Let hens be mothers, you don't have a clue how to do it.
Do investigate natural additions to a chickens diet. There is evidence that certain herbs and plants are beneficial to chickens in the right proportions. Do some research.

The ground your chickens live on is where many diseases live and breed. Having a spotless coop is great, but pointless if the ground your chickens scratch and peck in is full of pathogens.

Good point. The first year after I moved to a new place, I lost 12 chicks to coccidiosis. I found out it was because the previous owner had had sick goats in the place where I put their pen. I moved the chick pen to the other end of the yard, and have not had an incident since.

Plain water, no additives. Nutritionally complete chicken feed, no additives. Fresh air, sunshine, fresh forage, occasional scratch or kitchen scraps. Brooder raised chicks raised almost exactly as a broody hen does....warm, dark, secure place to duck under, brooded from the start outdoors on the same ground they’ll always live on, and allowing them to totally self-regulate their needs, exposed to ambient temperatures and natural day/night cycles. Not being afraid to dispatch a bird that is ill or seriously injured. And understanding that raising these wonderful critters doesn’t have to be intimidating or complex.
The raising them on the ground they'll live on :clap FINALLY someone says this! I raised my chicks in a massive run with their brooder and I've had ZERO problems. They're so much healthier than the other chicks I've done inside my home.

I add a little DE to the mix feed, (and a handful of oats ) which I toss on the ground in the Am and Pm before they roost, clean water, (in one dish I put a touch of ACV) the chickens are free range. occasionally I toss out food scraps to forage through, leafy's, tomatoes, cooked egg, they love meat occasionally. I give special hand fed treats, my roo gets a little show bird mix as a treat, my RIR loves white sunflower seed. they stay healthy, shiny feathers, red combs, I only have to fix injury. I put ashes and DE in a depression in the dirt, for a dust bath. and collect the eggs. they seem to be doing ok?

Back
Top Bottom