Natural Practices to prevent Health issues?

I'm sure if your friend is a vet they already know. They certainly push drugs like doctors :D
There's certainly a time and place for controlled medication when you're looking at saving a sick animal; it definitely 'should' be the default go-to under certain circumstances - like salpingitis. Human doctors seem to not be able to differentiate these days. In New Zealand they're the worst - could be viral or bacterial... let me give you some antibiotics for that.
As it was with my sick baby, her appointment was over a week away and OTC antibiotics were not an option. If she wasn't young and in good health before her illness, she might have succumbed in the meantime as I hear many do. A good balance of both preventative care and medication as needed are what's important. If you do well with the first, you can sometimes prevent a condition getting bad enough to need the latter.

There's certainly a time and place for controlled medication when you're looking at saving a sick animal; it definitely 'should' be the default go-to under certain circumstances - like salpingitis. Human doctors seem to not be able to differentiate these days. In New Zealand they're the worst - could be viral or bacterial... let me give you some antibiotics for that.
As it was with my sick baby, her appointment was over a week away and OTC antibiotics were not an option. If she wasn't young and in good health before her illness, she might have succumbed in the meantime as I hear many do. A good balance of both preventative care and medication as needed are what's important. If you do well with the first, you can sometimes prevent a condition getting bad enough to need the latter.

Are we talking about a human here?

It was a feathered baby to be sure.

We have very different ideas about keeping chickens to be sure. I wouldn't do any of that.

Quality food, fresh water, herbs, greens, vegetables and limited fruit. Meat and eggs. I just rinse egg shells and dry before I smash with my hand and toss them out. My chickens are loved, but don't go to the vet. They provide food and are food.

We have very different ideas about keeping chickens to be sure. I wouldn't do any of that.

Quality food, fresh water, herbs, greens, vegetables and limited fruit. Meat and eggs. I just rinse egg shells and dry before I smash with my hand and toss them out. My chickens are loved, but don't go to the vet. They provide food and are food.
Yeah, where I am we're limited to an all hen flock of 6, so we're very invested in our girls - Flappy is my 'expensive' chicken after her trip to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom