Natural Predator Control

My dogs do a fine job. They are out during the day, and I'll let them run the north pasture where they urinate on everything, which seems to deter all critters. When we moved here, it was like a darn wildlife preserve...since the dogs, I haven't seen a thing! (this includes, racoons, possums, coyotes, snakes, etc.)

Many people attempt to attract crows, which naturally repel hawks. You must understand that you are trading on predator for another and the crows WILL take eggs and young birds(chicks, ducklings, etc) if they get the chance.

Dogs usually do well at deterring most predators, but you have to find a dog that is territorial or protective over the chickens. Some dogs could care less that there is a predator after the chickens. Coyotes and bears have been known to kill dogs.

I've "heard" that guineas and peafowl will help deter snakes. I am not certain about that one though.

-Kim

Ok I do not know how to put this delicate. I sometimes use my barn as a urinal. Male urine helps to deter many animals. I also sometimes collect and pour urine along the property line between my yard and woods. I think the fact that I keep my goats with my chickens also deters some predators.

I really think the shear volume of cats in my area deters a lot of small predators, not because the cats prey on them, but because they're often competing for the same food and space. The cats have the homefield advantage. I still have one possum I've named Pete who sometimes sits on the porch eating cat food. Pete's pretty old and slow, and steers clear of all other living things, so he gets to stay. As with gardening, the best defense is preventing a hospitable environment.

1acre

I urinate nightly all around the perimeter of the chicken coop and still get raccoons and possums almost every evening. It doesn't seem to deter them at all. The only thing it seems to do is relieve the full sensation in my bladder
lol.png

Maybe a good natural method would be dropping a big rock on them from a tree!
wink.png

lol.png
big_smile.png
lol.png
big_smile.png
lol.png
big_smile.png
lol.png
big_smile.png
lol.png

If I saw my husband just randomly peeing somewhere in the yard or around the chickens or turtles, I would just lose it! I'm sure you urinating posters are being serious, but I just can't help myself over here...I am cracking up!
lol.png
At least you gave me something to laugh at while I clean my refrigerator out after a glass bottle of milk broke and spilled all over!
big_smile.png
I'll just look at it as the most Purposeful Peeing a person can do, even if it doesn't work. Just please wait until it dries to go for a stroll back there and watch out for those beaks!!!
lol.png

Maybe a good thing would be to give them a gallon jug to fill up at night instead of running to the bathroom. Then you can just pour it around yourself. Personally I use Repels-all. DH and my dog do also mark the turf.

What is Repels all?

The old farmers use to use hair from a stylist or barber to put at the edge of the property.

I've often wondered when I would see bear urine and stuff if that would deter but we don't have bears in this part of the store.

jackie

Back
Top Bottom