Natural remedy for worms?

rrbriss

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 10, 2011
Guildhall, VT
Just wondering if there is something else that can be given to my chickens instead of chemical remedies for worms. We try to keep them as organic as possible and really would prefer not to give them chemicals, also would like to be able to keep eating the eggs which you can not do with the chemical treatments. Any suggestions?

Welcome to BYC! You could try Verm-X, which is supposed to be natural and herbal. Run a search both on BYC and on the web to read about it. I haven't used it personally, but there have been quite a few posts regarding it on here.

Thanks Dawg you saved me some money
smile.png

You will find discussions (ad-nauseum) about whether ANY organic or natural methods for worming work. Personally, after reading a large amount of them - I have noted that the experts here agree that the only things that work for infestations are chemicals...period. Those that try to go a different route end up with dead chickens and realize the mistake they made.

I don't have experience with worms in poultry but I do in dogs. I also prefer to avoid chemicals when need be so tried Home remedies to rid the stray I took in of her worms. None of them work. Needless to say I picked up dewormer at petsmart. Worms were gone in less than a week

I too wanted to stay all natural with my chickens. I used a herbal wormer from Hoegger's. I lost three chickens to a rasping/wheezing then FINALLY found a vet that would run a fecal on my chickens. Turned out they had capillary worms, that's what killed the three, an overload. I had to worm 40 chickens, orally with Safeguard goat wormer. As daunting as this sounded, it was actually pretty easy with the EXCELLENT advice I got from Dawg53. The meds leave the system after two weeks of the last dose. We don't eat our chickens but we do eat the eggs and personally, I would rather eat an egg or a chickens for that matter, that was healthy and parasite free

Back
Top Bottom