Natural soil as grit?

Nope. Just order some smaller grit. Usually a store will order even if they don't have it in stock. Best, Karen

I bought a bag of granite grit from my local mill and just sifted out the smaller stuff for the chicks.
You could hit it with a hammer, wear safety glasses.

We tried a coffee grinder and burnt it out
2639.png
I'll try the hammer thing

2639.png

I'd just go buy some, it's pretty cheap. I was just asking, because I hadn't picked any up and thought maybe they needed it immediately. I'll probably use this stuff on my property, just because it appears to be the same stuff you can get in store. If I had to break it up, I wouldn't bother.

2639.png
th.gif
Oops!
Yeah, a coffee grinder (the kind with the spinning metal blade?) is no match for granite.
Granite would probably trash a ceramic burr grinder too(which would be a shame).
Hammer on a very hard surface(good concrete would probably be best, but be careful).
But really sifting it would take time but there's probably enough smaller pieces for chicks.

OK, now the question comes... At what age does "dust" need to be provided for dust baths? And can natural dusty/sandy soil be used? My babies have been here for five days now.

Do you have some dirt...any kind..out in the yard?
They will make their own dust bath in the yard.

You do not have to go out and by any "dust".

I take a shovel...small scoop of grass/dirt from my yard and place it in the brooder on day one.

They start "dust" bathing when ever they feel like it! lol

From day one, they might only use it after day 7 or so each chick is different , sand , wood ash , light soil,

Just looked in on my chicks the air was blue with ash dust and my Rhode Island reds are grey !!! Old girls !!! They love to dust bath
1f425.png

Last edited:
Do you have some dirt...any kind..out in the yard?
They will make their own dust bath in the yard.

You do not have to go out and by any "dust".

I take a shovel...small scoop of grass/dirt from my yard and place it in  the brooder on day one.

They start "dust" bathing when ever they feel like it! lol

Ok thanks! How do you provide it? In a shallow dish or just mixed in with their bedding?

ETA: Oh, with wood ash; does it have to be 100% wood ash? We use a lot of paper to start our fires in the wood stove.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom