Natural treatments for ADD/ADHD?????

The food is definately an issue. check out this website... www. feingold. org

leave out the spaces when you type it in. I discovered this diet 10 yrs ago and it has changed my kids.

The whole grain breads in this country are a joke

No kidding! I know very few people who actually eat REAL whole grains that are properly prepared.

" Grains require careful preparation because they contain a number of antinutrients that can cause serious health problems. Phytic acid, for example, is an organic acid in which phosphorus is bound. It is mostly found in the bran or outer hull of seeds. Untreated phytic acid can combine with calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and especially zinc in the intestinal tract and block their absorption. This is why a diet high in improperly prepared whole grains may lead to serious mineral deficiencies and bone loss. The modern misguided practice of consuming large amounts of unprocessed bran often improves colon transit time at first but may lead to irritable bowel syndrome and, in the long term, many other adverse effects.

Other antinutrients in whole grains include enzyme inhibitors which can inhibit digestion and put stress on the pancreas; irritating tannins; complex sugars which the body cannot break down; and gluten and related hard-to-digest proteins which may cause allergies, digestive disorders and even mental illness. "
http://westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/be_kind.html

One other thing I forgot to mention...

Us ADD/AHDH people FIDGET! We can't help it. Trying to suppress the fidgetting ONLY MAKES IT WORSE. One thing that helps is to let us sit on those exercise balls instead of a chair. Mine popped and I am HATING THIS STUPID CHAIR I am in right now...

::fuss fuss fidget fidget::::
rant.gif

Took my kid (this was years ago) off the meds after a year or so; the rebound and other side effects were terrifying for him and us. Jammed his days with activities - scouts, swimming, horseback riding...all the individual hands on stuff we could and couldn't afford. The diet was a biggie too - but I and lots of family have allergies and such, so paid attention to this already. Other DS got disabling migraines from any soda, just for example.
The other thing to look at is sleep problems. If DS was too tired, instead of getting sleepy he got more hyper. Eventually got his sleep cycles a bit more stabilized, but was a battle. Plus, EVERYONE here snores. DH and I have been officially diagnosed with sleep apnea; there are lots of studies with adult ADHD/ADD being related (now if I can get this CPAP machine to work for me, I imagine I'll be a different person). I have sooo many health issues plus ADHD/add too. My big school fidget was doodling; it carried over into the office.

I don't have first hand experience, but a friend of mine swears by what the child eats. Try cutting out all processed foods, especially those with dyes and preservatives. Her daughter did a complete 180 when she tried it.

Find a good Chiropractor who is more than the average chiro knowledgable about nurtitian, and then adjustments are also key. I use to work for one and he use to talk about kids with ADD and ADHD and how it was nurtionally connected and with the adjustments also, it can really help kids. I have a neighbor kid who has been deathly allergic to peanuts all his life, just turned 15 I think, and he went to this same Chiro I worked for and had some kind of treatment done, and now he is eating peanut butter cups. It is amazing how our spine and the connections to every single part of our bodies are correlated. I would ask at the Health Food store if they know of a Chiro who might work hand in hand with them in treating your kids. Good luck, and bless you for NOT medicating. Schools are usually the first to suggest the drugs, and I can tell you from working and watching and observing from the cafeteria, its not the answer.

Quote:
Find a good Chiropractor who is more than the average chiro knowledgable about nurtitian, and then adjustments are also key. I use to work for one and he use to talk about kids with ADD and ADHD and how it was nurtionally connected and with the adjustments also, it can really help kids. I have a neighbor kid who has been deathly allergic to peanuts all his life, just turned 15 I think, and he went to this same Chiro I worked for and had some kind of treatment done, and now he is eating peanut butter cups. It is amazing how our spine and the connections to every single part of our bodies are correlated. I would ask at the Health Food store if they know of a Chiro who might work hand in hand with them in treating your kids. Good luck, and bless you for NOT medicating. Schools are usually the first to suggest the drugs, and I can tell you from working and watching and observing from the cafeteria, its not the answer.

I totally agree with the chiropractor thing. It makes sense too with what that other poster was saying about ADD ADHD being a neurotransmitter disorder- anything having to do with nerves, the gut, and the immune system are tied to the spine. I had a lot of non-back related health issues corrected by a chiropractor- namely repeat sickness (I used to get strep as a kid every other week, so severe they had to make a judgement call each time whether or not to officially call is rhuematic fever), he had me come in every day as soon as I got sick, nothing red, not even red meat (they dye it) and other certain stipulations. Anyway, I was 8 at the time, iam 26 now and have NEVER had strep since. EVER. I've been exposed repeatedly too.

Its amazing what a good chiropractor can accomplish.

I was considering finding a chiropractor b/c oftentimes they are more knowledgeable in the 'alternative' treatments. I'll either do that or find a pediatrician with homeopathy training as well. I want someone who's open to using herbs, eo's and other various natural treatments. Too many just want to write a prescription these days.
hmm.png

Quote:
My cousin has 2 unruly children that just seemed out of control. It turned out that ADD is commonly misdiagnosed. It is an intolerance to red die's & preservatives that affects most kids. There are a several food additives that affect children's development. My cousin had her kid strung out on those ADD drugs,and the kid was simply doped up. Try changing there diet for a few weeks. You'll see a world of difference in the kid. Personally my sugar problem makes me diet sensitive. I beg of you, don't drug your kids with that stuff. You have no idea what it will do to them in the long run.

some children have an intollerance to dyes and additives and some children have ADHD. Removing those things did nothing for my son, neither did taking Melatonin to help him sleep. We do use medication but only in a dosage that helps him, he isnt over medicated which would make him "doped up", he is still energetic and needs some reminders but the medications helps him to focus and learn. Also making sure he has lots of opportunities during the day to get some good strenuous exercise helps. I cant help with the natural medications but as for paying for them maybe there are other options or programs that can help. My son is considered disabled due to other complications of prematurity and has coverage thru the state.

Last edited:
Quote:
Speaking from personal experience are we????
wink.png

wee.gif

Oh yeah. I have a foster daughter that avoids caffeine. Too much of it in add/adhd kids actually has somewhat of a reverse effect. She wanted to try a monster...... so I got her the smallest one. She had to sleep it off like she had some nyquil.

Quote:
Speaking from personal experience are we????
wink.png

wee.gif

Oh yeah. I have a foster daughter that avoids caffeine. Too much of it in add/adhd kids actually has somewhat of a reverse effect. She wanted to try a monster...... so I got her the smallest one. She had to sleep it off like she had some nyquil.

My boy likes to drink Red Bull or something like that. Anyway I don't see that there is any improvement when he drinks it. I only have one though that is truly adhd and that's my daughter. My two boys are pretty much the ones with ADD.
roll.png
I may have to try a monster for my dd when she gets a little older.
wink.png

I know this is kinda off topic but I just had to throw it in. I KNOW I can't be the only one who feels this way. I would gladly lop off my right arm to have had my son diagnosed with anything else. I get so tired of the "oh, you are one of THOSE parents" looks I get. I knew my son wasn't normal from the minute he was born. At 1 lb 14 oz they had to drug him to sleep so he could gain weight and come home from the hospital. When he did he never slept more than 10 minutes and the rest of the time he cried. I only wish I was exaggerating. I feel lucky. His brain was damaged. He had a stage 3 cerebral hemmorage. If all I have to deal with (all HE has to deal with) is ADHD them I an happy. I just wish I could CALL it something else.

Back
Top Bottom