Naturally hatching chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by maman poullette, Aug 7, 2016.

1. maman poullette

maman poullette New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    Hello. I am new to chickens but we have a lot of them - I have 20 adults who are having eggs. I would like them to be able to hatch chicks but my husband thinks they are not broody- I think they are & have seen them sitting on eggs but then it seems that they just leave the eggs alone.after a while. Am I wrong or too impatient? Because I see a bunch of eggs in a clutch in the barn on the floor & they are laying them in boxes also-Americauna, buff Orpington, sex link, they are fertilized because we have roosters. It seems that they lay & sit & then don't sit on them again. Can someone advise me please? Thanks

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! From what you have described I would say your hens are not broody I'm afraid. If they were they would be sat on the eggs constantly only leaving the clutch of eggs for a few minutes at a time once or twice a day to eat, drink and poop.

Here are some great threads & articles on broody hens that I'm sure you will find most helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Broody+hens#

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! I'm in agreement with Yorkshire - they don't sound like they are broody to me. Best of luck to you!

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! I agree-- it sounds like your hens aren't broody right now. Thanks for joining us and I wish you the best of luck for future hatches! [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Not all hens go broody. It's not something you can make them do. If any of them go broody, I'd bet on the Buff orp.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Welcome [​IMG], much success with your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by