Naughty rooster, mk II

Gypsy07

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Yesterday I was following my chickens about the yard and taking photos them. When I turned to leave, one of my roos ran at me and had a half-hearted go at attacking my legs. Before I had time to think I'd turned round and kicked him away and he scarpered. Last year I had to dispatch a really nasty roo after a few months of increasingly angry attacks, and I really don't want to have to do it again. That roo was always very standoffish and unfriendly, but these two have up till now been very friendly and sweet. (Not in a 'cuddly petting' way, just in a 'hang out with you and chill when you're working outside' kind of way.) And now I'm going to be trying a different approach to keep them sweet, cause the big tough fighting back approach failed miserably last year.

So today I totally undignified him. It was really funny. I cornered him and picked him up and carried him about with me while I threw corn down for the rest of them, and every time he struggled or grumbled, I tucked his head under my arm and upended him for a minute or so. He actually didn't fuss much at all and after a while I let him go. I'm going to take the time to do that with both of them every day when I let them out, cause I'm absolutely determined to keep them friendly.

Here he is, the handsome big chap:
48355_cimg2519.jpg

That's funny! I had my big Barred Rock Roo come at me today. This was the first time he's acted this way. I hope he doesn't try to charge me again, although I'm not sure I have the courage to corner him and pick him up!
lol.png

This is what I have been doing to my roosters when they show aggression (picking them up and carry them). So far I have one determined to go into the stew pot and keeps chasing the kids- which means unless he shapes up soon I have to put him into the pot!

My EE rooster and I get a long pretty well, but he and my DH have serious knock down drag out battles. The last time he did chores for me the water got dumped over and the cats didn't get fed
hmm.png
. Apollo is the sweetest boy to me though. He'll sit on my lap and loves his wing pits rubbed. Still I think I'll have to remove him. We don't need the stress and hubby will need to help with chores once in a while.
hit.gif

I really hope it works too, on both of them. They're Marsh Daisies and fairly rare and I really want to keep them both and breed from them but if they get nasty they'll have to go. Funny thing, they get on perfectly well with each other. And I can't figure out if one's dominant over the other one, they both seem to be equals as far as I can see. They never squabble and they're both very, um, attentive to their ladies...

Our roo Erin ( yes we were told he was a she and until we heard Cockadoodle do - he was a she ) .... has a couple time charged my DH who of course has no fear of the bird and rushes him - I on the other hand have never had a problem with the roo , he pays no attention to me at all - but I worry he will and that fear it's self has me freaking out about going in to the coop so I can cuddle my girls ....

The girls are so sweet they love to be held and I love holding them ... I will ask the DH to try holding Erin ( when of course I am not around to freak out )

Last edited:
I have 5 roos. I absolutely love them all. I don't have a problem with a single one of them, but my fiance has trouble with one of them. I think my fiance gets nasty with the roo instead of being kind which I think is the problem. I try and hold all the roos when I go in the coop, or at least I pet them all.

I have one dominate male, Big Red, who is absolutely the most awesome roo. He protects all his girls, won't stay in the coop until they are all back inside (when they are free-ranging) and actually jumps between my fiance and the "bad" roo when they have issues and chases the other roo away. Hats off to Big Red!!!
big_smile.png

Good luck with your roos. Remember...they know when you are afraid of them and will react off it just like a dog.

I had 25 roos for meat last summer (kept two) and toward the end of the season I started having some occaisionally attack my legs like that. Other days they'd be fine. I couldn't figure it out but then I realized that they were attacking when I was wearing my red sweatshirt. I guess some roos see red when they see red.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom