Naughty rooster... Suggestions please? *Pic on p4*

This is why I hate orpington chickens
hide.gif

Quote:
Culling is good poultry management constant culling WILL improve your flock most folks I know do not have ANY mean roos the mean ones taste the best!!! Stewed or crockpot mostly
smile.png

I have a white crested black polish rooster that just started stalking me, he just turned 8 months old. I drop kicked him across the hen house the other day and now he gives me room..........but I take in a walking stick eatime i go in the house now. I learned my lesson. If he does it again, he's history.

I have a WC black Polish as well that is heading to freezer camp as soon as the weather warms up enough for the farm to start processing chickens again. They said they will be happy to take care of him for us. Before anyone says anything, yes, I've given it a lot of thought. He isn't a terrible roo, just doing what he thinks he should and all that, but I don't want to have to watch my back every time I go out there. Nor does my daughter (who is all grown up, but still) or my hubby, who only interact with the chickens occasionally so the roo still thinks of them as strangers. I'm simply tired of it. And when we decided to get the chickens, it was with the understanding that they all will end up as stew or stock eventually. I know not everyone thinks that way, but for me, as much as I love the chickens and I do think of them as pets, they also are a food source, not only for eggs, but meat or stock, as well.

HIJACK!

I am posting here because I am going on vacation the end of February.
I have a great farmsitter who has taken care of the chickens before.
She always brings her daughter - 9yo - who loves to go in the coop with her to collect eggs & feed raisins to the girls.

But now I have this adolescent rooster...
So far he has not made any threatening moves toward me & is kept in line by the older hens (when he gets in their way he gets chased off)
I am concerned he may try something with the little girl.

My thought was to have them over before I leave to see if he tries anything then.
If he does, then while I'm gone daughter won't be allowed in the coop unless Mom shuts either all, or just the rooster in the fenced yard attached to the coop until they are ready to leave. That way both can safely gather eggs, refill food & water & be done.

Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom