Navigation?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CapeReds, Feb 19, 2012.

1. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

Today the girls went on a major chicken adventure and wandered off further than they ever had before. I'm curious, Do they have navigation? Can they always find their way back to the coop at sunset?

2. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    Boy, that's a good question. I would sure like to know the answer as well.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine always have. When I turn them loose, they go off in the woods here and can't see the coop. I don't think they ever went further than a couple of football fields. It shouldn't be a problem if they are familiar with the coop and sleeping there.

But then, every now and then you read on here about a stray chicken who wanders into someone's yard and stays.

4. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    My hens seem to stay on the property but we have 3.7 acres. They don't go out on the road or into the woods behind and they always find their way home.
    Years ago we rented a cabin on a 100 acre farm and had 3 hens that would wander down a steep slope and around a huge pond out onto the private road about a kilometer away and they always found their way back too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by