NBC News Article "Backyard chickens dumped at shelters"

I wish I'd seen or heard about this sooner. We don't have cable. Decided in 2011 it was too expensive, so we miss the BIG news.

We got our backyard chickens after seeing a undercover documentary about the cruelty and abuse on poultry farms. Seeing 6 to 8 laying hens in a cage smaller than most people would put a single parakeet in; and several of those dead, dying or diseased... It made me sick! I was determined NOT to support the industry that treats such sweet animals with such cruelty. I mean, I don't have to buy my eggs from the grocery store I can raise them myself.

Now that we have had chickens for about 2 years, I can't see my life without them. We have a mixed Flock of 17 layers and one Rooster. The rooster was a rescue. He is beautiful. Some one abandoned him at the animal auction house with dirty water,no food and in a cage so small he could barely move. I gave him a bath and put him in our quarantine pen. (didn't know if he might have something contagious) He was sooo calm. he didn't struggle or seem uncomfortable or afraid. He couldn't wait to get out of Quarantine and in with the Hens
yesss.gif
. 17 Girls just for him! Boy, from rags to riches. Is he ever HAPPY now.
D.gif
Excellent.
The way I see it too.
Also, the eggs people buy from us are eggs not bought at the store. Therefore, not promoting the cruelty. The more people who have their own eggs the less cruelty to the animals.

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is an article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette from August 27th about urban chicken farming. There is a small section about a list of good breeds for urban flocks, and even a link to BYC and MyPetChicken.com . I am truly impressed with the article.

I just read the MSNBC article about people abandoning their chickens when they find out that they 'get sick' or some other ridiculous reason. A pet is a pet is a pet and even an idiot should now that care is involved with a living being. People realize that fish need to be fed and the water has to be changed and kept at a certain temperature and sometimes they get that disease called ick that requires medicine drops in the water. Come on folks!

If the problem is abandoned roosters the only thing I can suggest is to process them and give them to a food pantry. Let the clients at the pantry know that the rooster was from a farm probably raised cage free and let them determine if the client wants the chicken or not.

Here in NH many deer that are killed in a collision with a car is often brought to a ( the police or troopers responding to the accident know who to call) processor, cut up and packaged for food pantrys. It's a personal choice. No right or wrong.

Want to get someones undies in a bunch? Inform people what happens to the males that are hatched at the hatcheries. Approximately 50% of any hatch is male. People want female. Those poor little chicks are just thrown into a barrel to die. Why not give them to someone who will raise them for about 6 months and then process for sale or a pantry? I'd buy them! I would even volunteer to raise them on my property cage free and free range if their the food was paid for. Free range chickens in this area (Southern NH) processed go for $5.00 a pound. At 5 or 6 pounds that's one expensive dinner.

I just searched sites for abandoned animals in New Hampshire. The Animal Rescue League, SPCA etc. Not one chicken to be found. Plenty of birds, bunnies and even hamsters. If anyone knows where to find these abandoned chickens let me know. I have room for a few more.

I just read the MSNBC article about people abandoning their chickens when they find out that they 'get sick' or some other ridiculous reason. A pet is a pet is a pet and even an idiot should now that care is involved with a living being. People realize that fish need to be fed and the water has to be changed and kept at a certain temperature and sometimes they get that disease called ick that requires medicine drops in the water. Come on folks!

If the problem is abandoned roosters the only thing I can suggest is to process them and give them to a food pantry. Let the clients at the pantry know that the rooster was from a farm probably raised cage free and let them determine if the client wants the chicken or not.

Here in NH many deer that are killed in a collision with a car is often brought to a ( the police or troopers responding to the accident know who to call) processor, cut up and packaged for food pantrys. It's a personal choice. No right or wrong.

Want to get someones undies in a bunch? Inform people what happens to the males that are hatched at the hatcheries. Approximately 50% of any hatch is male. People want female. Those poor little chicks are just thrown into a barrel to die. Why not give them to someone who will raise them for about 6 months and then process for sale or a pantry? I'd buy them! I would even volunteer to raise them on my property cage free and free range if their the food was paid for. Free range chickens in this area (Southern NH) processed go for $5.00 a pound. At 5 or 6 pounds that's one expensive dinner.

I just searched sites for abandoned animals in New Hampshire. The Animal Rescue League, SPCA etc. Not one chicken to be found. Plenty of birds, bunnies and even hamsters. If anyone knows where to find these abandoned chickens let me know. I have room for a few more.
Those poor little chicks are just thrown into a barrel to die. Why not give them to someone who will raise them for about 6 months and then process for sale or a pantry? I'd buy them! I would even volunteer to raise them on my property cage free and free range if their the food was paid for.
GENIUS IDEA !!

Food being paid for is the problem...they are food with a better for you but at a slightly higher cost than packaged food :( .Down here deer meat donations from hunters are rejected by state. When the states are responsible a whole new cost and program and inspectors need to be set up to make sure the meat is good-processed well and that it is what it is supposed to be...making costs rise fast. States don't want to pay it...tax payers, maybe but itd be a city hall/state legal situation to be approved in most states.
There are programs for farmer's tho and grants...so if one really wanted to go at a chicken rescue-could totally become a "farmer" if not already...
 Those poor little chicks are just thrown into a barrel to die.  Why not give them to someone who will raise them for about 6 months and then process for sale or a pantry?  I'd buy them!  I would even volunteer to raise them on my property cage free and free range if their  the food was paid for.
GENIUS IDEA !!

Food being paid for is the problem...they are food with a better for you but at a slightly higher cost than packaged food
sad.png
.Down here deer meat donations from hunters are rejected by state. When the states are responsible a whole new cost and program and inspectors need to be set up to make sure the meat is good-processed well and that it is what it is supposed to be...making costs rise fast. States don't want to pay it...tax payers, maybe but itd be a city hall/state legal situation to be approved in most states.
There are programs for farmer's tho and grants...so if one really wanted to go at a chicken rescue-could totally become a "farmer" if not already...
This country is way too complicated.

I live on a plot of land that is only 160 foot long by 80 feet wide. My personal choice of chicken breed is the small bantam variety for several reasons -

1). I built them a large pen/run to keep them safe from predators where they still get plenty of free roaming bugs to eat because I live in Florida and I give them plenty of greens to help ease their craving to free range!
2). The decibel level of their voices doesn't bother the neighbors.
3). Smaller birds can equate to smaller poo and less of a mess to clean LOL!

Yeah so, I have to eat more eggs in larger quantity BUT they're still chickens! I have time & time again run across people that I have met when I say I own chickens they immediately think & refer to larger breeds like the Rhode Island Red, Buff Orphington, Barred Rock, etc - when they walk into my backyard and see what I have, many are shocked to see such tiny chickens exist and they never thought it was possible to comfortably keep chickens in such a tiny space!

Back
Top Bottom