NC Snow

mommatweetie

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Garner, NC
We had 4 inches of snow last night - I opened the coop door and they started to come out, took one look and went right back in. I have yet to see a beak peak out - and I even shoveled some snow away from the coop :-( They said they are NOT going out today...

OK - you folks up north are laughing, I know...

LOL...My birds hate snow as well. They take one look out the coop door and head right back to the roost bar.
lol.png

I have a shelter over the front of the coop and the girls came out and stayed under the shelter where there was no snow. Occasionally they would step into the snow, but quickly returned under the shelter. Southeastern NC chickens aren't used to the snow.

I have kept mine inside. They are not especially happy about it. However, one guinea opted not to go inside the night it snowed. Needless to say, it wasn't hard to get him in the next morning!

It has been snowing here for 2 days now. Western Slope. C0, and my hens seem to just to love the snow. Ha, Ha, they don't like to step in it, but don't want to go inside. We finally had to put them in their run, which we have now covered because of the snow. We love the snow, but were really worried about our hens. But we got it figured out and they don't have frostbite so far. They are still laying and we so consider us lucky.

Is there anybody on the Western Slope of CO, that is on BYC? If so, i would love to hear from you.

Best Wishes to all our friends in the midwest etc, that are really getting hit hard, and maybe not used to this kind of weather. But in the meantime " Global Warming" is not much on my mind right now. I am busy trying to keep everything warm enough for all of us and our beloved creatures.

Very funny to hear how the chickens didn't want to touch the snow! When we had ice for 5 days straight in December...my roos were wandering all over and pecking the icicles. I didn't notice any problems with their feet afterwards. If they are large-bodied chickens, they will do better in the cold than the heat. My dogs put footprints all over in the ice/freezing rain. Even the rabbit insisted on coming out into his run (Dad built a special run for my rabbit to get some exercise). Guess that fur has gotten thick! Cats insisted on coming inside and having nothing to do with it! They're the ones who would poke their head outside...feel the cold wind...turn right back around and say "No thank you!"

Ya'll stay safe on those roads. I know it was bad here in the ice!

(I know the pic shows them on the dry concrete, but take my word for it, they walked all over the ice too!)

Last edited:
Here in SC we got around 2 inches of snow. My chickens didn't want to come out either, but they eventually did get their feet dirty.

Back
Top Bottom