NE Oklahoma Chicken Stock - Let's Plan!

Will there be much interest in small aviary birds? Finches, Canaries, parakeets, those types of birds.

I will most likely have a wide variety of Pigeons, and possibly some pheasants to bring.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Will there be much interest in small aviary birds? Finches, Canaries, parakeets, those types of birds.

I will most likely have a wide variety of Pigeons, and possibly some pheasants to bring.

Let me know if there is any interest.
It's difficult to know. At a local sale, canaries and parakeets sold well, so I think a lot depends on who attends N.E.O.C.S.

When is the sign up deadline?
Send Allbreeds a PM. She will have the answer for your question : )

Morning, All!

I'm putting a first aid kit together for N.E.O.C.S. We will keep it in space 132, which is close to the middle of the barn, just west of the raffle tables. The kit will contain basic first aid supplies to tend cuts, scrapes, turkey bites, etc. Anything serious will prompt a 911 call. Our security staff will handle big emergencies.

I've had conversations recently regarding how best to display birds in spaces. Keep in mind that each space has a concrete floor and cattle panel sides. It's a show barn meant to hold single, large animals rather than cages of small animals. Each space is 6' wide and 8' deep. Placing cages on the floor is the easiest way to display your birds, but lookers will have limited visibility if you have lots of cages. Small tables set inside your space will work, but measure first to avoid disappointment. A table that's too big will severely limit your walk space. I want my cages up at chest level and I don't have enough trailer space to bring a bazillion small tables, so I'm planning to bring some boards (one that is just over 6' and two just over 8' for each of my spaces. Boards placed across the tops of the cattle panels and then wired on each end to keep them from slipping or tipping will work. This gives you a U shaped set of shelves. Don't block your entrance! You need the side with the door to be free from tables or board shelving. The space underneath the board shelves can be used for more cages, feed, and other bird related items you've brought to use or sell.

Great idea on the first aid! You are clever to think of such things.

Just confirming, rabbits are not allowed correct? (Had someone yesterday ask if rabbits were going to be there)

Cages are being built for those who didn't bring one or needs a "newer model", cots are hatching so will have several different colors there to choose from, hoping to have a few pairs of button quail too! Looking a round the farm...more and more of our adult chickens, pullets, and cockerels are going to be making the trip. Of course hatching eggs from the quail and some Australorp eggs too! (Might be some others as the time comes closer.)

For you artsy type folks...we will have a large selection of peacock train feathers.

Looking forward to June! This is going to be fun!

Great idea on the first aid! You are clever to think of such things.

Just confirming, rabbits are not allowed correct? (Had someone yesterday ask if rabbits were going to be there)

Cages are being built for those who didn't bring one or needs a "newer model", cots are hatching so will have several different colors there to choose from, hoping to have a few pairs of button quail too! Looking a round the farm...more and more of our adult chickens, pullets, and cockerels are going to be making the trip. Of course hatching eggs from the quail and some Australorp eggs too! (Might be some others as the time comes closer.)

For you artsy type folks...we will have a large selection of peacock train feathers.

Looking forward to June! This is going to be fun!
You are correct: rabbits are not allowed. We're hosting a bird-only event this time. I was talking with Tausha on Friday about cages. We will need to have cages to sell to people who forget or who know they aren't buying but end up buying anyway
yesss.gif
My husband suggested cage kits that can be assembled using zip ties. Five regular panels and one panel with a door could be transported to the sale easily and assembled by the seller or by the buyer using zip ties on corners and sides. Zip ties should be part of the kit. Using J clips or hog rings makes a permanent cage, so industrious people may want to assemble their cages this way instead of using zip ties. Either way, parts take up less space than fully assembled cages: just a thought for those who don't have a big trailer.

Peacock feathers! Neat! You've got a customer.

I put notes in brackets for May and June - cooler temps.

I forgot to add that we should come up with a name for this chicken stock. DD suggested O. C. D. = Oklahoma Chicken Do.
hmm.png
Another suggestion was NEOCS (North Eastern Oklahoma Chicken Stock). For anyone on the planning committee for POOPS, please let me know dates so that this get-together will not be on a conflicting weekend. This is not POOPS. It's a NE Oklahoma Chicken Stock. I'm volunteering to arrange the place and do a lot of the planning, and I'm offering our home as one possible location.

Plans will be posted on this thread, so make your suggestions as they come to you.
I am sad that OCD didn't win out.

Back
Top Bottom