Near fire, but now I need to gut it.

clairabean

Songster
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Kootenays of BC!
Somehow (I blame the bunny!) the light in the coop was ripped down yesterday. We have no power in the coop, so I had strung an extension cord up to have a light. I thought it was fool proof. I had even really pulled on it to make sure it was not coming down. Somehow it came down. Popped off all the nails from the ceiling holding the cord in place. It must have been tugged HARD. I *think* it was the rabbit we keep in the coop. She has been also gnawing through the fencing, stealing eggs, and making a mess. She will be gone today.
he.gif
This is the third winter I have used this light, but the first with the bunny.

The light had smoldered in the shavings and blew up. Pieces and shards everywhere. Some are even embedded in the wall. Scary. It was a miracle none of my chickens (or the bunny) were severely injured. One hen had a cut on her foot. She is resting nicely in my garage. And it was more than a miracle the coop didn't light on fire. Shards of glass are all through the DLM, so I need to do a full clean out today. It is -15*C (about 5*F) this morning.

So, please, double check your lights today.

Yes, bunnies LOVE electrical cords, and phone cords, and lots of things like that.
I'm sorry you have to clean up that mess, but thankful it didn't catch on fire.

I love the pine shavings! They just smolder, had it been straw or hay it would have been a much more tragic outcome. TG your chickens are ok. Ugggg on the cleanup on a cold day, stay warm out there
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom