Near laying birds and winter delimma help

Giving a little extra feed right at dusk can certainly help. Getting extra calories in right before bed triggers the metabolism in a way that will help heat the body. This is a proven theory and used by people camping in the wilderness as well. Whether cracked corn is any better than their regular feed is debatable. Carbs provide quick energy but that also means you burn them off quickly, proteins are longer slower burning and may last longer into the night.

Amount of birds relative to coop size is not important. Birds fluff up their feathers to trap and warm a layer of air close to their bodies, the same way your puffy winter jacket works. Their body heat quickly heats this air and their feathers trap it in place so they are each in their own warm little bubble. If you provide them with a draft free shelter, they should be just fine.

Thanks for the reply! Got it. Red heat bulb doesnt affect the laying process of a 6 month old pullet. They will remain on grower until they lay. Should I start treating them with cracked corn now? That aside should I still heat the coop because of the low amount of birds, larger coop size and lowering temps?
Where are you located? How cold does it generally get in the winter?

Lighting only affects mature birds. It does nothing as far as pullets sexually maturing and reaching point of lay. That has to do with breeds, and feeding. All my pullets bought at the end of May as chicks start laying by January. I have never had to wait until spring for eggs.

Daylight begins to increase after the winter solstice, which is usually the end of December. Hens will be revving up production after that naturally. So any lighting program in my opinion isn't necessary, but people continue to do it for a couple of extra eggs. :confused:

Giving a little extra feed right at dusk can certainly help. Getting extra calories in right before bed triggers the metabolism in a way that will help heat the body. This is a proven theory and used by people camping in the wilderness as well. Whether cracked corn is any better than their regular feed is debatable. Carbs provide quick energy but that also means you burn them off quickly, proteins are longer slower burning and may last longer into the night.

Amount of birds relative to coop size is not important. Birds fluff up their feathers to trap and warm a layer of air close to their bodies, the same way your puffy winter jacket works. Their body heat quickly heats this air and their feathers trap it in place so they are each in their own warm little bubble. If you provide them with a draft free shelter, they should be just fine.
After reading your reply Im feeling pretty confident that my gals are gona be ok. Ill try to be patient on the laying but Im excited because my gal Gretchen is now squating . I think were on track for December! Thank you.

Lighting only affects mature birds. It does nothing as far as pullets sexually maturing and reaching point of lay. That has to do with breeds, and feeding. All my pullets bought at the end of May as chicks start laying by January. I have never had to wait until spring for eggs.

Daylight begins to increase after the winter solstice, which is usually the end of December. Hens will be revving up production after that naturally. So any lighting program in my opinion isn't necessary, but people continue to do it for a couple of extra eggs. :confused:
My birds were mid May hatched so I may be looking around the same lay time. Thanks for the info.

Using lighting may or may not help them lay sooner,
but it won't hurt if applied properly.
No need for heat.
@Legion knowing your location would help.

You can switch over to 16 % layer feed with oyster shell and poultry grit available if have not already since 18 weeks plus if at breed weight.
Best not to switch to layer until they are laying.

Using lighting may or may not help them lay sooner,
but it won't hurt if applied properly.
No need for heat.
@Legion knowing your location would help.

Best not to switch to layer until they are laying.
Im in high desert New Mexico. Lows are about -10 degrees with some snow throughout winter.

Im in high desert New Mexico. Lows are about -10 degrees with some snow throughout winter.
You can add it to your profile so ti's shows up under your avatar:
upload_2018-10-20_12-32-15.png

Back
Top Bottom