Near laying birds and winter delimma help

Cool thanks!
There is no reason for the cracked corn, in my opinion. Their feed is nutritionally balanced, and if they're filling up on corn, they're not getting the necessary nutrition to start laying. I live where it gets in the 20's and 30's below zero for days at a time. They do just fine on regular feed in a well-ventilated, draft free coop. Chickens grow downy layers under their feathers that help trap the heat next to their bodies. The down grows as they acclimate to the cooling temperatures each fall. By providing artificial heat, you would be hindering this acclimation. One problem with supplemental heat is, if your electricity goes out and it's too cold, your chickens could freeze to death. At the very least, they will be cold and uncomfortable.
Good info here!

I worried about heat last year with my girls and they just avoided any attempts I made at keeping them warm (heat lamp or heat mat) LOL. So I stopped. Then it clicked for me... the little tiny chickadees do fine all winter without heat, so my girls should be fine and they were. They avoided the snow, staying in the barn where they had access to a large 40x40 covered area, until the snow finally started to go away. (it was a cold, snowy winter). Once grass started peeking thru and they went out into it, other snowfalls didn't keep them inside. They especially liked where it was plowed. I guess they just had to learn.

You've gotten excellent advice here. Another factor for weather concerns is chicken breeds. Some breeds are excellent in cold weather but suffer in heat. Others are just the reverse. You mentioned your birds are Leghorn. These are not cold hardy. I'm not really familiar with your climate but you say you get below zero in winter. I still don't believe you should heat the coop. Keeping it draft free with good ventilation is paramount. Some insulation might be appropriate. I wonder if adding some cold hardy birds to your flock would help.My thought is that hopfully your Leghorn will snuggle between big fat warm chickens. It's just a thought. I'm sure someone here can answer this and advise better than I can.

Sound advice given here with some cold-experienced chicken keepers.

Biggest thing I've found is the prolonged cold snaps. For me that's the -20 F. I think it does stress birds when it's prolonged like for a week or more. Pretty cruel weather. High Desert New Mexico may not have the prolonged stuff though I'm guessing. Mountain weather is so different even up here in the midwest. South Dakota gets the warming chinook winds in the Blackhills. Weather has been so weird lately though anyways. I'm thinking all will be well there without supplemental heat for sure-- and then lighting is a choice once they begin laying. Is it a hobby? Are you going to be selling and want higher production? It's about your set up and goals. Hens forced on light usually will be spent hens sooner. Things to think about if you got some pets there.

Scratch corn is kind of nice for boredom things to do or turn over their litter or to bribe to get back in the coop...so on so forth. But it's carbs and a fat builder/ meat finisher. My early years in chickening I fed it too much and I had fat hens and no eggs. Their nutrition took a while to get back on track but they began to lay again with strict formulated layer feed diet .
They had me trained. Ha! Do a bit in the evening if you want. They'll have full crops on their good nutritionally formulated feed and can snack on the scratch before bed. Scratch and other snacks should be less than 10% of their diet for the day. Or do it only a couple times a week-- it's just a treat. It's nice to have them come running when they are called too...and scratch helps with that.

You've gotten excellent advice here. Another factor for weather concerns is chicken breeds. Some breeds are excellent in cold weather but suffer in heat. Others are just the reverse. You mentioned your birds are Leghorn. These are not cold hardy. I'm not really familiar with your climate but you say you get below zero in winter. I still don't believe you should heat the coop. Keeping it draft free with good ventilation is paramount. Some insulation might be appropriate. I wonder if adding some cold hardy birds to your flock would help.My thought is that hopfully your Leghorn will snuggle between big fat warm chickens. It's just a thought. I'm sure someone here can answer this and advise better than I can.
They nestle beyween two 6.5 and 7lbs New Hampshire gals pretty much all day, in or out of the coop. Im in New Mexico high desert whe the temp gets to zero degrees. Right now the lows are mid 30s.
The leghorns are almost 21 weeks and the NH are 25. Big red caombs and wattles for all but one. No eggs. Their coop is cozy and they eat great. Veggies and grower. Im getting impatient because at 6 months I feel they should now carry their weight lol!
Sound advice given here with some cold-experienced chicken keepers.

Biggest thing I've found is the prolonged cold snaps. For me that's the -20 F. I think it does stress birds when it's prolonged like for a week or more. Pretty cruel weather. High Desert New Mexico may not have the prolonged stuff though I'm guessing. Mountain weather is so different even up here in the midwest. South Dakota gets the warming chinook winds in the Blackhills. Weather has been so weird lately though anyways. I'm thinking all will be well there without supplemental heat for sure-- and then lighting is a choice once they begin laying. Is it a hobby? Are you going to be selling and want higher production? It's about your set up and goals. Hens forced on light usually will be spent hens sooner. Things to think about if you got some pets there.

Scratch corn is kind of nice for boredom things to do or turn over their litter or to bribe to get back in the coop...so on so forth. But it's carbs and a fat builder/ meat finisher. My early years in chickening I fed it too much and I had fat hens and no eggs. Their nutrition took a while to get back on track but they began to lay again with strict formulated layer feed diet .
They had me trained. Ha! Do a bit in the evening if you want. They'll have full crops on their good nutritionally formulated feed and can snack on the scratch before bed. Scratch and other snacks should be less than 10% of their diet for the day. Or do it only a couple times a week-- it's just a treat. It's nice to have them come running when they are called too...and scratch helps with that.
I live about 7300 feet up and the wind here is killer. When it snows it flurries and the wind never lets up. I never planned on adding light for prolonged laying but was thinking if I added warmth to the coop that my soon to be layers will lay this Winter instead of when it warms up.
I just introduced oyster shell to them since theyre 21 and 25 weeks old...To me thats close to time to pull their weight. Also I throw a handful of corn two days a week to the group of 6. Thats it and all.
Got one squatter so far. Fat, red combs and wattles but no eggs and no curiousity about the nest boxes. Kind of annoying to have 5 and 6 month olds and no eggs lol!

Attachments

• 20181002_131437_HDR.jpg
    20181002_131437_HDR.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 14
They are gorgeous and certainly clean and happy conditions.

Windbreaks might be a good idea. They seem to not like wind a whole lot I’ve noticed with mine. They’ll hunker down on a windy day in the brush or some cover.

I’ve had chicks the middle of April and they laid in September. Recently I’ve been getting hatching eggs and working with a teacher and getting the chicks from her classroom hatches. She’s been having mid May hatching now and those birds may give me a Christmas egg ( a gift!—ha) or we’re late January early February start on those birds. Early February we’re getting enough daylight again. I think you’re fighting shortage of daylight to be honest. Leghorns and New Hampshire’s are prolific. Get your egg recipes ready!

First egg comes from one of the red sisters, Gretchen! Took 5 months, 3 weeks and 4 days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-25-11-48-47.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-25-11-48-47.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20181025_104200_HDR-1.jpg
    20181025_104200_HDR-1.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Heading into the winter, should I provide supplemental heat such as a heat lamp to keep them warm enough to start laying this winter?

It snowed lightly last week and the temps are in the mid 40s in the day and mid 30s at night.Nesting boxes are all ready to go!

I have four white leghorns(20 weeks old) and two NH(24 weeks) btw. Should I even be thinking about them laying at this point?
Since they're at laying age now, you don't have to worry about them not laying through the winter. New layers will lay no matter what time of year, although next winter they won't be laying. Don't provide any supplemental light as it can mess up their inner timer for egg laying and extra heat can be a fire hazard and their bodies can become dependant on the heat, making them want to stay inside the coop instead of going out in the run for excerise. Chickens do better in the cold and heat, and with the temps you have now, there's no need to worry! :)

Back
Top Bottom