Nearness of dogs to pheasant aviary

PheazAnts

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Southeastern Ohio
The day has finally come to finally build the Red Golden pheasant aviary with the possible addition of ring neck doves. Now I have one last thing to consider before the post holes are dug.
big_smile.png
That is the location of the aviary. I have two choices. One that would allow for more viewing but is within 15 feet of an acre of fenced in Golden Retrievers (2), a beagle mix and a weekender Brittany. (All of which have hunting instincts hardwired in) The male retriever already barks at any critter or creature that is within eyesight of it. The other location is a more secluded one. I am favoring the more secluded one. I'd like any input from anyone interested in responding. I have found this forum to be a great source for practical insight and would appreciate your responses. Thanks in advance!

Do you mean in the same pen with dogs?
I have noticed that with ringnecks, they are a little more flighty, and have ripped through my pen easily. But ringnecks are more timid than other species. I have had no experience with ornamental pheasants. I would say though, put them in the more secluded area where there is no dogs.
good luck
smile.png

It would depend on how the birds react to the dogs and the dogs react to the birds.You could cover the side in between the pens so neither can see the other.
In N.H.,Tony.

6 pheasants at the max. Aviary will be 12' x 30' Thanks for the inquiry, Ticks. I see you have ring-necks. There is a nearby reserve of ring-necks. I have spoken and visited with the owner. They have Springers which are loose and was told they don't bother much with the pheasants, probably because by now they are use to them.

Quote:
That would be the best thing to do. A blind or barrier along the entire perimeter of the aviary is also not a bad idea. I don't own any dogs and have a gate and fence to keep them away, but still have a barrier around the aviaries of the flighter species such as Kalij and Syrmaticus. They do much calmer when mowing or when I'm working around the yard or when my son decides to charge a pen. Also helps to keep other ground predators out and parent reared chicks in.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom