Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Is anyone interested is a black (bbs) orpington cockerel? I'm near Springfield, but willing to travel some. Also, will be traveling through western NE in a few weeks and would be open to arranging a meeting on the way! Really want to find a good place for this dude.

Attachments

• 20230815_100804.jpg
    20230815_100804.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230815_100853.jpg
    20230815_100853.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230729_131525.jpg
    20230729_131525.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 3
No problems what-so-ever. Happy as fat hens. They do this every year, deal with extended ultra cold. We just make sure they have warm water, lots of high protein feed, no drafts, proper perches at night, and entertainment to keep them moving during the day with deep litter to keep their feet off the cold ground. @GoodLifeFarm

Pretty much what @WthrLady said. Deep bedding, heated water (heats to 35F, just above freezing), no drafts.

The no drafts thing is super important. I usually keep my roosters in a separate pen from my hens, but their building is thin walls and drafty. It's so cold, their water heater couldn't keep up and I had to move them (in the middle of the blizzard, walking through 4 foot drifts. Ugh!) So they are hanging out with the hens now, causing chaos. I can't wait until it warms up enough that they can go back to their own pen, although it means I will have to shovel.... and that drift has grown to over 6 feet by now.

You can see just the tip of the chicken coop peeking out from behind this 9 foot drift. You also can just see the top of the clothesline pole, which is how I know the drift is about 9 feet tall. You also can see kid tracks 😂

I walked around this drift rather than shoveling through it
View attachment 3726271
Darn wind breaks! Lol. We cut ours down when we moved here. Neighbors thought I was nuts. My drifts are 5 feet high, theres are like yours. I plowed paths through mine, well around....lol. I just wish this had been moisture laden snow.

Back
Top Bottom