Neck Deep Newbie from Arkansas!

thethrill

Hatching
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Well I like many others, have been creeping around forever taking in information. I thought I would finally post.

I have never had chickens, but my wife had some growing up. We now have 2 daughters, ages 3 & 1. Our three year old loves animals and really wanted some chickens. We have a nice property and I didn't want just any old chicken coop. So I built a nice chicken coop and pen on our 10 acres. I already had a pole barn that is sometimes used as stable etc in the horse pasture. I built the coop next to it. We started with 19 chicks from the local farm store, then went away for work for a couple weeks and my father in law bought 2 pairs of banty's, both were rooster/hen pairs. He also bought 3 turkens babies and 10 straight run chicks that were free locally. Soooo.... We came home to 36 chickens! Then.....I found an older couple that were getting rid of all their chickens, so we ended up with all of theirs too! So as of right now we have Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Aracauna's, Banty's, Silky's, Cochen's, Polish Crested, Turkens, and Buff Orfingtons. I think that's it! So we currently have 71 chickens and I had to use 1 of the 3 stalls in the pole barns for a second pen! Long story short, we're out a couple grand but are loving getting the eggs and watching the chickens when we turn them out in the yard.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC! Congrats on the new additions, too! If ya don't mind me asking, whereabouts in Arkansas? Currently in Tennessee, but lived in Jonesboro for a few years........and visit Hot Springs Village every chance we get (hubby is a rock-hound, and they have some great rock shops out thata way).

We are up in North Central Arkansas, couple hours from Jonesboro, close to Missouri.

Ahhh...gotcha. Don't know as much about that neck-of-the-woods...I helped out with some research at Mammoth Springs (near Thayer, Missouri) but I'm thinking that is still too far east.

Hello and :welcome

Glad you decided to start posting! What a lovely story, there goes that chicken math. The big flock sounds like a blast to have around. :)
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Last edited:
Wow! Way to jump into chickens! I have four chicks and Im worried LOL. I cant wait to read more about your adventures in keeping 71 chickens!

Back
Top Bottom