Neck/Eye problem... Please HELP!

NicoleD

Hatching
Apr 1, 2015
My mom has a white chicken with black spots, I'm not sure what type of chicken this is. The past two weeks the chicken has not been able to move her head toward the right side of her body, her head lays horizontal when she stands and one of her eyes remains closed. When she lays down her head does a 180 and is basically upside down resting on the floor. We feed her every two hours with a liquid dropper but she doesn't seem like she wants to eat and I believe my mom has been giving her medication as well.

Does anyone know how to help her without putting her down?!

Is her neck perhaps broken? There is also some ailment called crooked-neck syndrome (or something of the like) that can cause this. I am not sure of any other ways that she can be helped. Perhaps a vet visit?

I don't think her neck is broken, not sure if she would survive this long if it were. Can chickens be taken to regular vets? The closest vet that specializes in farm animals is about a 5 hour drive. She looks like some of the crooked neck syndrome chickens I've looked up according to how her head is positioned. Her eye is completely closed on the other side of her head, we are keeping her in a large dog cage in our home to care for her properly. Is crooked neck syndrome something they are born with or does it develop over a period of time? We've had her since May 2014.

I believe that most wry-necked chickens are born with it, although they mostly develop it slowly after hatching. Not all vets will take chickens in; you really have to call ahead of time to make sure. Oh, and yes, i agree, it does seem like she wouldn't survive very long with a broken neck, but think about all of the stories of "chickens running around without heads". There are many possibilities. Good luck with the vet, if you decide to go. Poor baby! Hope she gets well soon.

At this point she is stuck with wry neck.

She will probably live as long as food and water are easy to get to. Don't breed her.

When we first noticed her neck we were giving her Amoxicillin which did not seem to work. It seemed as if her head started to move that way because of her eye staying closed. Do you think it has anything to do with an ailment to her eye?

I'm not too sure, the local farm store gave it to us when my mother had described her injury (the chicken's name is Freckles). I googled "crooked neck syndrome" and the disease "Paratyphoid" came up saying amoxicillin, Baytril and Teramycin may help. We might try the other recomended medications that were on the site.

Last edited:
Dose she eat in a grater appetite?does she have a paralyzed limb,a leg maybe?
Can you look on here skin and a sea if she have little lumps on it? Can you look in
The aye of the chicken and look for irregularities in iris of the aye? Dose the aye seems opaque and not clear? If she have one of this symptoms it almost certain that it is Marek's disease , which is incurable!
If you can't find one of this syndromes check in google ״crooked neck syndrome in chickens״ and learn some more about the situation. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom