neck feather variation in Ameraucana/Svarthona crosses

annagoodspeed

Songster
7 Years
Jan 24, 2017
Central Idaho 3000 ft
Hi All, wondering if anyone knows anything about this feather variation that is cropping up in some of these crosses. They feathers seem to swirl around the base horizontally rather than extending straight downward, some on one side only, some on both. Pictured is one with one side swirling. Since I am not breeding to a standard, not too concerned unless it indicates something connected genetically to other issues that could be harmful in the long run. I have three breeds going, Langshans, Svarthonas, and Ameraucanas, all BBS coloring, but these look like they don’t have much Langshan. I Haven’t kept any Ameraucana cocks as they all seemed so over the top in libido, so the breeding cocks have either been pure Langshan or a Svarthona/Langshan cross, he looks like a medium sized fibro Langshan. Thanks!

Attachments

• 03948094-FDCE-4109-8E28-7CD99509FAED.jpeg
    03948094-FDCE-4109-8E28-7CD99509FAED.jpeg
    668.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 5A553818-D4F4-4AB5-A711-3784367ADB91.jpeg
    5A553818-D4F4-4AB5-A711-3784367ADB91.jpeg
    607.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Since I am not breeding to a standard, not too concerned unless it indicates something connected genetically to other issues that could be harmful in the long run.

I've never noticed anything like that before, and I've never read anything about it either.

I would guess it is fine, because if it was associated with a problem I would expect to have heard about it, but of course I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the reassurance. It is fascinating to see what comes up in all ways, crossing these birds. As I am not showing, and the priority for me is to have birds that are healthy and predator savvy, they are working well. Having two of the breeds being a little closer to landraces probably helps, along with having hens raise chicks from the start. ( When incubating, I start a batch when a good mother goes broody, then place them under her after hatching.)
I had one bird that was fibro and had almost pin feathers, so maybe something with these feather variations is connected to that, as silkies can be fibro?

I had a hatchery quality RIR that also had feathers that kind of swirled (not as bad as yours though). Not sure why, but she was healthy her whole life, so I don't think it affected her.

Maisie scarecrow 2 10:13:20.jpg

That feather type isn’t too uncommon, though I don’t know what specific gene(s) cause it. It’s a trait I’ve seen in a lot of Easter eggers.
Here are two of my hens who have had it.
738634D6-E336-45B3-8045-7B5368ED02A3.jpeg
EED8508D-F5A8-4440-8DA3-063935E5BCDB.jpeg

That feather type isn’t too uncommon, though I don’t know what specific gene(s) cause it. It’s a trait I’ve seen in a lot of Easter eggers.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the beard gene?

OP's bird has a beard, you say you've seen in in Easter Eggers (which often have beards), and the two hens you photographed also have beards.

I believe they are called angel feathers seen them before in ameraucanas most people breed away from it but I don’t think there’s anything in standards about it.

Back
Top Bottom