Neck problem

Totallytdp

In the Brooder
May 22, 2018
I have a salmon faverolle rooster who is 16 months old now. He has been fine up until a few weeks ago. He did take a long time to start crowing (didnt started until he was almost a year old) but slowly his neck has been being held to the left side now he won't correct it and just keeps it to the left side and isn't crowing (I'm assuming because of how it is positioned) he is still walking around the coop and eating but unable to roost as he can't jump up or fly the way he is now. I do have a separate outdoor pen where I put him and my blind hen so they can have time outside in the sun and fresh air. Wondering if anyone has any issues like this before?

Here is a picture I took last week.

Attachments

• 20181010_141941.jpg
    20181010_141941.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20181010_142332.jpg
    20181010_142332.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 5
Wry neck or torticolis is a neurological symptom, sometimes from a vitamin E or thiamine (B1) deficiency, a head or spine injury, and sometimes seen in diseases such as Mareks and others. If you can start treating him with vitamin E 400 IU daily, and give him thiamine in a poultry vitamin, 1/2 vitamin B complex tablet crushed onto some food, or a small amt of chopped liver daily, it might help. Make sure that he is able to get enough water and food.

What do you feed your chickens? Do you have other roosters?

Wry neck or torticolis is a neurological symptom, sometimes from a vitamin E or thiamine (B1) deficiency, a head or spine injury, and sometimes seen in diseases such as Mareks and others. If you can start treating him with vitamin E 400 IU daily, and give him thiamine in a poultry vitamin, 1/2 vitamin B complex tablet crushed onto some food, or a small amt of chopped liver daily, it might help. Make sure that he is able to get enough water and food.

What do you feed your chickens? Do you have other roosters?

Currently they are getting Purina layana crumbles. He is eating and drinking well no problem getting to them and he will shove between other birds to get to them. I also have a blind hen so I don't feed pellets. I do have another rooster with him and they have never had a problem being together. I have some new birds to add to my flock but still in the introducing phase. I may need to build a separate coop for ginger (the roo) and a few of the more docile hens for company. I will pick up the vitamins and see how he responds. Thanks

You posted on another thread asking for more help.
Can you also post some photos of his legs?

Check to make sure his crop is emptying completely overnight. Offer him some vitamins as suggested in the previous posts.
Look him over very well for lice and mites.

20181021_203325-jpg.1567737

Back
Top Bottom