NECK PROBLEM!!!

ARKYGFARM

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 4, 2012
I have a 4 to 5 month old cockrel that has appeared to be just fine up until a couple of days ago. His neck is, for lack of a better description, sort of an "S" configuration now and he is lethargic. He holds his head up but his neck seems to be bulging to the left side. I have no idea what is the problem. PLEASE help me out? Thanks.

It could be wry neck. I usually see it more in silkies. I give poly-vi-sol 3-4 times a day. You can also put it in the water but I use Nutri-Drench in their water. I believe it is caused by a vitamin deficiency.

I'm certainly no expert, but i really don't think it's wry neck. He just kinda holds his head to one side causing the neck to bulge to the left. He is a good young cockrel and I don't want to loose him.

Just wondering what happened to this chicken? Is he okay now? We have a chicken who is doing the same thing!

About 2 weeks ago we got 6 red layers to keep in our backyard. They are now laying regularly but one of our girls is doing exactly what you have described! She is moving her neck in spastic "S" movements and sleeps more often then the others. We noticed this several days ago, and there doesn't seem to have been much change in her behaviour during that time. She is still eating and drinking alright, runs about with the others, but I'm very worried about her!

We'd love some advice!

Here is a youtube video of her:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom