Neck wound from mystery predator overnight - how serious?

I agree the wound looks to be doing good, it just looks a little dry, try to keep moist as possible with the ointment to the best of your ability. I think letting her stay with the other ducks might be best. The only concern with her being outside, would, of course, be contamination of the wound either via bedding/feces or flies. The other ducks may try to pick at it as well, so maybe have her in a separate pen. Hopefully, the wound will be looking ever better by thanksgiving

I've done this before when a female Pekin was attacked by a hawk. Try to keep the wound dry as much as possible, but also give her a bath every day if you can and dry her afterward. Ducks can get lonely, so if it is not too cold if you could move her to a separate pen with another female and a pool that would be good.

Thanks for the article! I have been doing my best to keep the ointment on and cover it to keep it moist, but she's growing very impatient with me and last night she removed her bandages twice! I tried using a towel to blanket the tape, but she got smart and started dipping it in the water bowl, so after changing it 4 times I finally gave up on that idea! It may be that iam a terrible wound dresser, or maybe I'm making her uncomfortable wrapping beneath her wing, but I can't figure out how else to keep the bandages on her neck! I found her laying down this morning, which she wasn't really doing the past 2 days, proud as could be, with all the wrappings strewn about her and floating in her water! :confused:
Before reading the article, I was debating going to the pharmacy to look for better dressings, now I'm convinced! If I do let her out with the others, even separated, she'll want to swim for sure, so I thought something waterproof should be in order? If i can get something that actually stays on...

Hello everyone! Hope you had a wonderful holiday! Thank you again for all your advice! We ended up beginning little Lemon with us, we couldn't figure out any other way to keep her wound clean... she became quite the escape artist from her bandages, so I caved to only applying ointment 2x a day after her bath, once she's finished preening. She was making it worse by tearing off the wrapping, and she seems much more comfortable this way. We have let her out to play in the grass with her friends so they don't reject her when she's able to return to them. She was NOT happy to be brought back in after though...lol. She loves her baths and is getting much more used to the loving pets from the kids too! It seems all is well with our lucky ducky, what a blessing to be thankful for! 🥰🦆:love
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom