Neck Wound on Hen, please help!

cmbretz

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
I went to check on my birds earlier and noticed one didn’t come running up as she usually does. I found that she was sitting by herself and bleeding from the back of her neck. I immediately separated her and have her in a dog pen inside. I flushed the wound with saline and sprayed liberally with Veterycin. I’ve called around to almost every vet in a 2 hour radius, but no vets that see chickens are apparently in the office today. Is there anything else I should or can be doing to help her out? Has anyone had a similar experience, and hopefully a good outcome?

Pictures are included. The wound is probably about an inch to inch and a half round. She is walking around, eating and drinking.

They have a fully covered and enclosed run. The rest of the group was acting as they normally do, so I’m currently leaning towards our rooster as the culprit. He’s always been relatively good with his girls, but he’s never been able to successfully mate with this one, normally she’s able to run away. The entire flock is a little over 4 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_9481.jpeg
    IMG_9481.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9479.jpeg
    IMG_9479.jpeg
    605.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9480.jpeg
    IMG_9480.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 6
It looks nasty but you're treating it correctly, keep her separateuntil it scabs. vet is likely not necessary but I'd separate the cockerel until he calms down and the girls are older.

I went to check on my birds earlier and noticed one didn’t come running up as she usually does. I found that she was sitting by herself and bleeding from the back of her neck. I immediately separated her and have her in a dog pen inside. I flushed the wound with saline and sprayed liberally with Veterycin. I’ve called around to almost every vet in a 2 hour radius, but no vets that see chickens are apparently in the office today. Is there anything else I should or can be doing to help her out? Has anyone had a similar experience, and hopefully a good outcome?

Pictures are included. The wound is probably about an inch to inch and a half round. She is walking around, eating and drinking.

They have a fully covered and enclosed run. The rest of the group was acting as they normally do, so I’m currently leaning towards our rooster as the culprit. He’s always been relatively good with his girls, but he’s never been able to successfully mate with this one, normally she’s able to run away. The entire flock is a little over 4 months old.
If you are in america it could be a mink attack you should get some sanitising spray

Back
Top Bottom